WHO WANTS A GOOD FIGHT? Motor Oil Poll

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Guys you can go out to 5k now, esp if you drive mostly highway miles. Oils are a lot better now than they used to be. If you do lots of short trips or traffic then earlier is good. Most OE's recommend 7500 now on new cars.....

:word: I use full synthetic now whatever is cheapest and change mine every 5k

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:word: I use full synthetic now whatever is cheapest and change mine every 5k

Depending on which synthetic your using you can go 10-15k easy on those. Still change the filter every 5k though. I ran royal purple in my 03 gt to 15k, filters every 5k. Some people ran it to 25k though!

BMW's come with full synthetic and a oil monitor. Most of them go 20k+ before telling you to change it an that's their recommendation to listen to the car lol

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Here is a very extensive oil filter study that was performed by Aloicious, one of our mods on here.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...-suggestions-ideas&highlight=Oil+filter+study
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilter/gradesheet.htm

Lots of good info. That being said, I use Mobil 1 10w30, fram extra guard (will be switching to the 4wd version of the xtended guard), and change oil every 5000 miles.

Holy Crapola! That was a fantastic study. Wish I had found that two days and all my marbles ago.
This is the best truck forum on the net.

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of right now, I'm running Castrol Syntec 5W20 in the wife's kid hauler (04 Mercury Monterey) out to 8k miles, which is supported by my last two oil analyses, using a Purolator Pure One or Motorcraft filter. The Burb gets Rotella T6 5W40 with a Wix or Purolator Pure One filter once a year, because I hardly drive 5k miles a year in it.

96twodoor

Dark side of the moon
Reaction score
My dually gets whatever is on sale , my tahoe gets vavaline 10w30 both get puralator pure one filters.

Sent from my ADR6300

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please read the study linked above an stop using ac delco filters asap.

And I just changed it a few days ago thanks for the heads up. Gonna go read the link

Edit: Well looks like i'll be swapping to mobil 1 filters too

Last edited:

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I run Chevron Delo 400LE 15W-40 with the Fram Extended Guard filter.

***This blows a lot of people's minds somehow: If your oil is clean after 3k, or 5k, or whatever, it is NOT doing its job. Dirty oil after a short period is a GOOD thing. That means that the oil you used did a lot of cleaning. Think about washing your truck; when it is dirty, the water that comes off is dirty. If the water comes off clear, you aren't getting anything off your truck. I highly doubt any GMT400 has a beautifully clean internal engine (if its original).

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
last time i had my intake off at 150,000 or so, clean as could be with no sludge or build up. at 3000 my oil is dark dark brown but not black.

X-Cutioner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
was running mobile full synthetic 10-30 with a fram extended guard filter changing it at every 10K

at 186,000 i switch it for amsoil full synthetic 10-30 with an amsoil filter (still on this change at 192,000)
crazy part is i can't remember when i changed it, im thinking im coming up on a year :)