Who has tried LED head lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Yes once I’ve switched over to leds I rarely if ever but to only “flash” oncoming traffic thinking I drive around with my brights on! My fog lights are lite up meaning once you turn on your brights it kills the fogs but you’d have to actually know your ride to know wow things work when you push buttons or knobs!! But yes switching is for your benefit and with the crazy brightness of newer vehicles you’ll cut down on being so blinded as you will not be “your lights” over taking bye oncoming traffic as to lose sight of the road.

vaquero

Reaction score
Yes once I’ve switched over to leds I rarely if ever but to only “flash” oncoming traffic thinking I drive around with my brights on! My fog lights are lite up meaning once you turn on your brights it kills the fogs but you’d have to actually know your ride to know wow things work when you push buttons or knobs!! But yes switching is for your benefit and with the crazy brightness of newer vehicles you’ll cut down on being so blinded as you will not be “your lights” over taking bye oncoming traffic as to lose sight of the road.
That's what I've noticed when I am driving and oncoming traffic has LEDs or HIDs, my halogen lights no longer show anything in front of me! Freaking annoying. I have ANZO housings on the way, and I'm still undecided on if I want to switch to 9012/9011 bulbs or go with LEDs.

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
Believe me they way cheaper than halogens and 6000k is the color you want it’s that clean white with a hit of blue same as newer headlights project.
You must be registered for see images attach

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
You will be super happy with them! Idk if your getting the clear lenses or more of factory ones with directional lines in them? But either way they’ll be better at night! And when there’s snow oh wow or behind a white car yeah it’d be like a whole new world lol

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just installed some on my 97. The headlight, and turn signal assemblies, came in before the LED bulbs did. So I installed the assemblies before I put in the LEDs, with the old OE, non LED bulbs. The headlight assemblies, have a deflector on the low beam side, so the light bounces off of that first. Once I swapped over to LEDs, it was a little brighter on dims, but not that much. Bights have no deflector, so they light up the whole road. This is what I have, and since the swap about 2 weeks ago, no one has flashed for dim lights when I'm going down the road.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221102-204641.png
    Screenshot_20221102-204641.png
    529 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20221017-194730_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221017-194730_Chrome.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 12

vaquero

Reaction score
I was doing my best to stay out of here because the LED fans will surely hate what I have to say...

IMO the only really good LED headlights for these trucks (and the only street-legal ones for sure) are the sealed beam 5"x7" LED replacements for the W/T grilles. TruckLite 27450C for example. These housings/reflectors are designed from the ground up to work properly with a diode instead of a filament and therefore have a proper cut-off and light pattern. All the drop-in 9005/9006 LEDs are just doing their best to imitate a halogen filament, which is pretty much impossible to do with a multi-sided LED board. No matter how you adjust the housings, you're going to have some light going places it wouldn't if you were using halogens. Anyone doing the swap can observe this for themselves, just look at the amount of light reflecting off of street signs and other elevated reflective surfaces after you put the LEDs in compared to the OEM halogens. Anyone who wants to dig deeper into this for themselves, check out this thread. It's a long and convoluted read with a lot of random discussion of other topics but there's a ton of good info on lighting in general.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/spyder-headlamps-my-take-on-em-and-lighting-in-general.36647/

Long story short, the drop in 9005/9006 LEDs can be an improvement over the stock halogen composite setup for a lot of people, but mainly because they're able to run at full brightness with the wimpy stock wiring. A good set of halogen bulbs like Philips ExtremeVision and and upgraded wiring harness with relays like @5vortec7 offers for sale will put the drop in LEDs to shame, and keep all the light on the road where it's supposed to be.

For those who think I'm just beating up on the LEDs without trying them, I actually have AuxBeam S1s in both of my '97s right now as I wanted to see the results for myself. They're not horrible, but they definitely put some light in places I'd prefer they didn't. At some point I'm probably going back to halogens.

All that said if you absolutely have to try some drop in LEDs, I'd go with the AuxBeam S1s or the comparable BeamTech option. Reasons being IMO the two-sided boards work better in these housings (despite what Ehall8702 said, I've seen one of these trucks using a four-sided model and they seemed to put light all over the place in comparison to the two-sided) and they have no cooling fan to fail, just a heatsink.
This was about a year ago, so my question is - did you go back to halogens, or did you stick with the Auxbeam LEDs? My Anzo housings are coming in soon, and I need to figure out what I'm going to put in them. The only doubt I have about LEDs are their performance in the rain - I live on the Oregon coast, and we get rain in sheets, not drops.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This was about a year ago, so my question is - did you go back to halogens, or did you stick with the Auxbeam LEDs

Still running LEDs for the moment, but I bought a few sets of the Brazilian Arteb headlight housings and am planning on going back to halogens whenever I get those installed. Going to upgrade the wiring before that happens as well.

If vision in bad weather is a concern I would really recommend staying with halogens. The slightly blue tint of most LEDs kind of makes them disappear in the rain. It's weird but that's the best way I can think to describe it. The more yellow light from halogens will light up the road a lot better in the rain.