Who has tried LED head lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SS Performance

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm about to install the 4-high mod.

I was thinking about changing my head light bulbs when I do this.

I am thinking about swaping to LED bulbs. I'm wondering who has tried this and what they thought of the change. Are they a direct replacement or are alterations to the harness required? Also what bulbs did you use and where did you get them?

Thanks
Craig

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use PlashLight out of texas since I bought my first set and the customer service is great. Never paid but for one set.

but i have used amazon kits as well. Cougar motor is a good one

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someone here told me to get Auxbeams on amazon. I got both lo/hi, and the painless 4 hi mod. I can make the 4 hi mod, it was only $20-something. But they made a huge difference in lighting. I'm gonna do it again in my Yukon, that has smoked lenses, and crap bulbs, so need to do something....oh and 100% bolt on

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I polished my original housings and went with some el cheapo Ebay ones. I put them on the dually and the wife's Envoy. They were a lot brighter than stock, but each vehicle burned out one low beam each quickly. I put the 2 good ones in my dually and the wife currently has halogen lows. On hers, the bulb fans can't do anything to cool themselves so it's more likely they'll live longer in my truck.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
U get what u pay for of course. Rundown on my experience with PlashLight and why i stay with them ..
2012, purchased a set of 9005 hi & 9008/h13 for 2 ram 2500z.. (around 120 a set iirc, so almost 500$ For the 4 complete sets.

2015 got a new ram, they had changed up the lights. So only the 9005s transfered over. Had to spend another 130 for los.

2018 got my k1500, the 9005s were changed out once again, and i ended up only spending 40$ on a set of demo model 9006 lo.

early 2021, one of the 9006 los went out. They sebt me a complete set (150$ normal price) absolutely free!!!

basicaly since 2012, ive had some 9005s in at least 4 different vehicles . There still burning strong.

again, ive put el cheapo 50$ sets in other vehicles, but no warranty. For piece of mind again, in my PlashLight setup and LIFETIME WARRANTY i have been nothing but pleased. If my dad hadnt sold his old ram so soon i woulda sure yanked those headlights out and bought some stock halogens just to have spare.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I havent done them on a gmt400 but I have done them on a Mid 90s Semi.
The key to sucess with it turned out to be cleaning every possible ground and contact.
LEDS and HIDS are pretty voltage and ground sensitive.
The other problem on this particular truck was that it used a diode in the circuit to switch between high and low.
One diode was bad coupled with the crappy contacts and grounds it turned into a friggen light show.
Like I said, that was on a 90s Peterbilt but the ground and contact problem still applies.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I havent done them on a gmt400 but I have done them on a Mid 90s Semi.
The key to sucess with it turned out to be cleaning every possible ground and contact.
LEDS and HIDS are pretty voltage and ground sensitive.
The other problem on this particular truck was that it used a diode in the circuit to switch between high and low.
One diode was bad coupled with the crappy contacts and grounds it turned into a friggen light show.
Like I said, that was on a 90s Peterbilt but the ground and contact problem still applies.
Round headlight style? Those were the most jury rigged wiring i had ever seen

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Round headlight style? Those were the most jury rigged wiring i had ever seen
We used to call him "KFC"
Or "Chicken King"
For the "chicken lights"
Lights on lights on lights to the point of stupidity.
Then he borrowed my welding jacket when I wasnt at the shop one day and my freind dropped a big huge molten slag ****** on him and dude just laid there and took it.
He thought leather was heat proof.
It cost me a welding jacket Ive had since about 1990 or so.
But it burnt his ass.
And now he is forever known as Extra.
Sometimes "crisp"
And occasionly,
Honey and biscuits.
Sometimes,
Add some.
For add some slaw.
Never ever get stupid around freinds.
We are heartless and cruel, but damnit. Its just too damn good to pass on

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did I really just get edited for "Booger?
Isnt that just a wee bit insane?
Do you suppose that the worlds children will suddenly learn a new word and use it in some offensive way?
Booger.. booger ..booger...