Who has tried LED head lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still running LEDs for the moment, but I bought a few sets of the Brazilian Arteb headlight housings and am planning on going back to halogens whenever I get those installed. Going to upgrade the wiring before that happens as well.

If vision in bad weather is a concern I would really recommend staying with halogens. The slightly blue tint of most LEDs kind of makes them disappear in the rain. It's weird but that's the best way I can think to describe it. The more yellow light from halogens will light up the road a lot better in the rain.
You can buy different temperature (color) LEDs, the lower the temperature the more yellow the light appears, and the better they work in fog, rain, and snow. Here's a chart for convenience, and a link to a decent explanation.
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can buy different temperature (color) LEDs, the lower the temperature the more yellow the light appears, and the better they work in fog, rain, and snow. Here's a chart for convenience, and a link to a decent explanation.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm aware of the different color temps, but the issue is that most drop-in LED manufacturers (especially the cheap Chinese ones) don't give you a choice. If they do, the ratings rarely seem accurate. From what I've seen, the vast majority of drop-in LEDs are somewhere in the neighborhood of 6000K which appears very blue. Most good halogens (that don't have a bunch of blue coating on the glass) are closer to 3500K, which is easier for the human eye to process and will do much better in inclement weather.

I have seen some drop in 9005/9006 LEDs that are RGB or will enable you to switch between "white" and selective yellow, but they aren't very common.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
So I live in Michigan and one day it’s 70 next day 30 sunny then rain or even snow at times and can happen all inside one day!! So this is my breakdown on bulb brightness.
1-halogens are decent light but can be pricey plus not as bright vs others I only ever bought silverstars decent in weather

2-HID’s I put in hids for about 2 years much brighter than halogen very good light but expense and work to install along with random flickering while driving good in weather run hot

3-leds once put in not swapping out unless something better and easy comes along lol good good light cheap of eBay but hard to sometimes get a actual lasting set good in weather but hids are best the beam on leds is bright but lacks depth of beam meaning it’s not same brightness though out range of light like driving though fog per example that hids will beam strongly straight but leds lack the beaming depth more like a flashlight vs a lantern is best way to describe them. But 4sided leds are better than 2 sided and that helps but are still not as beaming as hids. Hopefully this helps but I don’t recommend getting halogens they easiest to install but you’ll still have the brightness issue on your hands .

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
6500k is the blue blue color 6000-6250k are the true white color newer cars come with color look up a K chart higher the K more purple pink color you’ll have I’ve been through a few different leds to find best light output which has been the 6000k and they stay relatively cheap but Like I mentioned I’m sticking with leds until “laser” bulbs come to market if ever

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
That’s why some cars even rallye cars have the yellow fog lights so that could be what solves your problem snap up a square cut out bumper and throw in a set of yellow fogs! Lol

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hopefully this helps but I don’t recommend getting halogens they easiest to install but you’ll still have the brightness issue on your hands .

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but honestly my viewpoint on this is the opposite. A proper halogen setup in these trucks IMO is much more effort than a drop-in LED, and will result in a brighter and more properly focused beam than drop-in LEDs. A huge issue with the factory halogen setup in these trucks is that the factory wiring harness is borderline too small and uses no relays so the entirety of the headlight current runs through the switch. Shovelbill and other members have tested the voltage at their headlight sockets and found that upgrading the harness gained them over one full volt, that equates to a huge difference in output. Re-doing the harness and adding relays is pretty much necessary to get full output from halogens. Drop-in LEDs don't need any of these upgrades to run at full brightness as they draw much less current than halogens do.

One other note, you also mentioned that the only halogen bulbs you tried were Sylvania Silverstars. You didn't say what kind specifically, but if it was the Ultras then those are notoriously one of the worst aftermarket options out there both in terms of brightness and longevity. The reason is the blue coating on the glass. That coating (while it does create a more bluish-white light that some people prefer the looks of) both reduces light output and traps heat. As a general rule you want to avoid any halogens that have a colored coating like that, the only exception I'm aware of being a small ring of it on certain bulbs like the Philips X-TremeVisions to keep them within the legal brightness limit. If a halogen bulb's glass is completely covered in a colored coating, don't buy it.

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
I’ve bought Phillips also before but we’re disappointed in brightness that coating on silverstars does burn away whenever I needed to replace one or just changed them out for hids or leds that coating was gone. But my headlight housings are different than the pickups which my area from which light is projected is bigger and even before I ever changed the bulbs my no illumination was better compared with my dads 99 burban especially when high beams were on lot brighter on coming traffic way quicker to turn off brights as very bright beams even with halogen or basic bulbs I’ve never changed out my highs as my hands are too big to swap them out unless I totally take them out but I rarely use them as high bought the decent leds plus my fog lights. but to each they own and I’m not skilled in electrical things to upgrade wiring nor would I as that’s up an above a simple led plug n plays to me that is.