Which harmonic balancer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
So, I have an 85 block out of a Chevy Truck that will be going into my 95 Suburban. Not sure exactly the differences are on the harmonic balancers, but they are different. Ideas on which one to use?

Thanks

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Is there a difference on what kind of pulley is attached to it? The difference of v-belt nd serpentine?

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
hi scruf,,no difference in the pulleys,,both will bolt up, depends on what set up you go with, make sure you use the correct timing chain cover with the corresponding balancer or you will never be able to set the timing correctly. I would use the 95 balancer and cover and bolt serpintine pulley to balancer. Good luck with the build. edit..make sure the keyways are in the same place on the 85 crank as the 95 otherwise there will be a issue timing it,,just a thought

Last edited:

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
it seems timing covers, in the aftermarket world are mostly the same between 85 and 95. The difference is the timing mark setup. Easy enough to get around, I found an in depth tutorial on setting up timing marks when there is a question. So the timing shouldnt be a problem, that just leaves me which balancer to use. The 85 and 95 balancers have a .1 pound difference in weight. As long as my serpentine crank pulley bolts up to an 85 balancer I'm guessing thats what I should go with.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
85' balancer was engineered/design for an 85' crank shaft, so if it works, thats the one I would go with.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Thats actually a harmonic dampener, not a balancer. 350s are internal balance. As long as the timing marks are the same, it won't matter. They both have a 0 balance.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
yea yea, I grew up being told there balancer's often i screw up and still call them that.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Some of them are balancers. Depends on the engine. The trick is not to mix up a dampener and a balancer.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Welp. Im gonna go with all 85 stuff to make sure its all good. I'll do my own timing marks/tab once its together. Shouldnt be to hard to do. I'll line up TDC with the timing marks on the timing gears and go from there. Probably pick up a piston stopper to double check everything.

Thanks