Which fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Out of this lot here >> https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...fuel+&+air,fuel+pump+&+housing+assembly,10147

which pump would be decent for my 1999 C2500 5.7 Vortec?

Tried jumping the relay (87 to 30) and no pump operation. Before I go buying a pump though I want to check the wiring running rearwards. Is there any connector between the fuse centre relay box and the pump? If I'm just checking for obvious external damage - where do I find the pump's wiring? Is the pump to one side of the tank or central? Any clues welcomed! TIA.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Out of this lot here >> https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...fuel+&+air,fuel+pump+&+housing+assembly,10147

which pump would be decent for my 1999 C2500 5.7 Vortec?

Tried jumping the relay (87 to 30) and no pump operation. Before I go buying a pump though I want to check the wiring running rearwards. Is there any connector between the fuse centre relay box and the pump? If I'm just checking for obvious external damage - where do I find the pump's wiring? Is the pump to one side of the tank or central? Any clues welcomed! TIA.

Delphi. I have helped friends install a couple and installed them in my 96 G1500 and K1500.

My only complaint is they’re so damn quiet it’s hard to tell if they’re running........

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've just checked an old invoice that came with the truck and it had a new pump fitted 2 years back and it's only done 5000 miles on it. Surely it can't be goosed so quickly?
I want/need to check the wiring before I jump into buying a pump. I have the wiring diagram so know the colour of wire I'm looking for - just don't know where to look for it. Does all the wiring run rearwards in one lump? I know where the towing wires are bundled (at the back) - work forwards from there?

Last edited:

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Although in recent times the aftermarket fuel pumps have improved, in the past they were generally junk and had a short lifespan.

Ten+ years ago the service manager at a GM dealership told me they had learned their lesson cross referencing AC Delco fuel pumps on Ford and Chrysler vehicles. He said “When a Ford comes into the shop and needs a fuel pump we go to the Ford dealership and buy a Ford pump, the same with a Chrysler vehicle.”

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm happy with my Denso pump. It looks like Rockauto only has one model, and there is a good chance it's not the one you need. I bought mine through Advance Auto online, with a discount code, but I know that may not be an option for you in Scotland.

The Denso pump is quieter than my old dealer purchased AC Delco pump.

Reaction score
One wire on the crank sensor tells the relay to turn on pump,also check your ground at the pump, have seen them loose connection inside the tank, pump is located at driver side front corner of the bed, best to unbolt the bed and lift one side to access, much easier than dropping the tank

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One wire on the crank sensor tells the relay to turn on pump,also check your ground at the pump, have seen them loose connection inside the tank, pump is located at driver side front corner of the bed, best to unbolt the bed and lift one side to access, much easier than dropping the tank

Not on a Suburban.....