Which filter is right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck is a 1998 K1500 (3/98 build date) with the 4l60e. I’m changing the fluid and ordered Delco/GM filter 24208576 which is on the top. That’s the one they sell for the deep pan.

It’s the same height as the one that I pulled (on the bottom) but it’s longer and doesn’t have the ribs on it.

So the pan hits the filter when putting it back on. The previous owner said the transmission had been rebuilt but so much shoddy work was done that I have no idea.

Does this look like a shallow filter with a deep pan? I can barely get this filter into the seal (which I replaced). Feels like I need to pound it into place so I stopped. I rubbed the filter neck with transmission fluid but it seems like it shouldn’t take that much effort.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I’m an idiot, just didn’t have the filter seated up far enough. It fits fine, I’d delete the thread but can’t figure out how.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol, thanks for chiming in. Spent an hour trying to pry that stupid seal out and gave up before I sent a hammer through the windshield.

Bought a slide hammer blind hole puller and got it out in less than a minute. The filter just needed a tap with a rubber mallet to seat.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it became a “I wish I had just left this thing alone” moment fairly quickly. The seal probably could have stayed put and been fine.
Yep, that was me also the first time opening any transmission drain pan to change a filter.

Was cussing after bending that little filter a few times with a flathead screwdriver....and the tranny was on my workbench, LOL.

I've since watched videos where they use a heavy u-shaped pick. A firm tap with a hammer and seal is out...takes literally like 1 second!

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To answer another ? you mentioned.

The old filter is a shallow and the pan is a deep

But the new plastic filter is correct for the deep pan

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Is only the deep pan stepped, or is this characteristic of all 4L60e pans? Only ones that I have experience with are the 2 99 Burbs. Thanks!

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Deep pan is stepped. I’ve read that transmissions built after 10/1997 was the changeover. I have another 98 model (9/97 build date) and it has the flat shallow pan.

Last edited: