Which filter is right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Deep pan is stepped. I’ve read that transmissions built after 10/1997 was the changeover. I have another 98 model (9/97 build date) and it has the flat shallow pan.

You must be registered for see images attach
I sorta figured that, from the proximity of the pan and crossmember, but it's good to have confirmation. Thanks!

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a hard rubber seal on the neck of the filter. It usually gets stuck in the transmission body where the filter neck goes in that hole. Look inside there. Pull out the filter seal make sure the new seal goes on the neck of the filter. It’s a pita. You’ll need a small hook type tool. DONT use a screwdriver anything to try and pry. Pull it out.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a hard rubber seal on the neck of the filter. It usually gets stuck in the transmission body where the filter neck goes in that hole. Look inside there. Pull out the filter seal make sure the new seal goes on the neck of the filter. It’s a pita. You’ll need a small hook type tool. DONT use a screwdriver anything to try and pry. Pull it out.
Photo?

It's been awhile, but the only seal I remember is the metal-cased seal pressed into the pump bore, which is a real pain in the ass to remove. The plastic filter neck slides inside that seal.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...and in post #3 he already stated he got it out.

Then he doesn’t have the filter neck shoved far enough in. I usually put the seal on the neck then insert the whole thing in that hole in the valve body.

Photo?

It's been awhile, but the only seal I remember is the metal-cased seal pressed into the pump bore, which is a real pain in the ass to remove. The plastic filter neck slides inside that seal.

yeah that’s the seal. Sometimes it comes out with the filter sometimes it doesn’t..

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then he doesn’t have the filter neck shoved far enough in. I usually put the seal on the neck then insert the whole thing in that hole in the valve body.

Yeah, the filter wasn’t seated far enough. I went out of my way to complicate it, lol.

Using the filter to press the seal in sounds easier. I had used a socket to tap it in.