Where should i go from here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Sounds like your having a rough go at it. What kind of paint are you using?

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Sounds like your having a rough go at it. What kind of paint are you using?

Its a single stage urethane paint. I finished peeling a bunch of it off last night, and smoothed it out with 320 grit, sanded the whole side of the truck with 320 actually, hoping that will be good to stick to.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
well here are the pics
You must be registered for see images

By hezsus at 2011-04-14
Masked

By hezsus at 2011-04-14
Covered

By hezsus at 2011-04-14

By hezsus at 2011-04-14

Sprayed

By hezsus at 2011-04-14

By hezsus at 2011-04-14

2nd Coat

By hezsus at 2011-04-14

By hezsus at 2011-04-14

The bad and Ugly

By hezsus at 2011-04-14

By hezsus at 2011-04-14

By hezsus at 2011-04-14

By hezsus at 2011-04-14

So heres how it went, first coat went on realy heavy.. was only going to do one coat but i got solvent pop, i had it reduced a little thin, sprayed pretty thick. so i waited 30min and hit it again with some properly reduced stuff. went on nice.. except for the rediclous runs... looks like i'm gonna have lots of color sanding to do. and probably upgrade from a 15yr old cheap suction gun.

any advice on the color sanding is welcome, not sure if i will do it all or just the runs (which may end up being all by the time they blend)

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
also for anyone wondering the bedliner was stupid easy to do, i applied with a rag, not spray or roller, didnt have to reduce or anything. no kit just the gallon of liner and a rag. takes about 3-4hr both sides. prep and all (unless you have some serious bad rust (i did a little bit here).. will throw up some pics of that process soon too.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Wow that's some runnage! Can you turn down the suction? or move your arm a little faster when laying the paint down? the first coat should be a guide coat not frosting.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Slow down! Put your first coat on a little thicker than over spray. All your doing is laying a foundation at first. Try to make some adjustments to the gun if possible.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I had this side painted about a week ago with the same stuff, thats why i laid it on heavier.. this is my first time on a truck, done lots of spraying in the woodworking feild, single stage is a little different tho. so the paint turned out pretty good except for the runs, should i try and see if i can buff it back nice or sand down and try it a third time? I plan to do the tailgate and grille as well (not right away though)

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little more research in the paint dept. might save you some time, money and headache in the end. Keep with it. Its not gonna be easy.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
It sucks but sometimes you have to live and learn! Keep going. The truck will look sweet once it's done.