When you reach a fork in the road, take it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's not a lot of aftermarket support for that engine, right? I looked to see if I could find a carb intake and couldn't.
Dart makes a 4v intake that accepts a distributor. With the stock injection they make 385hp and 440tq. With a computer tune they will make 440hp and 500tq with no hard parts changed. I've got to plug into mine and see what was done to it. 02 k2500 sub with 373 gears and 4l80. Converter seams real loose and driving easy acts like a cvt at 2000rpm and just moves out fast. If I smack it from a stand still it will turn sideways hook up and run off the 6k tach turn sideways going into second and again into third at about 105. I did a45mph roll on against a 6.2l 4 door short box the sub dropped to third and got gone. The 6.2 went to the basement and started rowing gears. He had me by a fender at the start and that was all he had until I lifted at 105. If it would have dropped into second I would have ate his lunch and from a standing start he wouldn't have a chance. This is a 3/4 ton 4x4 that gets 14mpg at 90 in 4x4 bucking snow. I love that motor. A buddy has one in a 72 k5 blazer with a dart intake, hei and a mild rv cam for a 454 that is tame as he'll and goes like a scalded dog. Best motor gm built. I smoked the motor in a suburban in the mountains got a 27 ft uhaul with an 8.1 loaded the sub in the back and hooked a trailer with 10k on the deck behind it and got 15 coming from VA to MI with the loaded uhaul with the 8.1 and Allison

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dart makes a 4v intake that accepts a distributor. With the stock injection they make 385hp and 440tq. With a computer tune they will make 440hp and 500tq with no hard parts changed. I've got to plug into mine and see what was done to it. 02 k2500 sub with 373 gears and 4l80. Converter seams real loose and driving easy acts like a cvt at 2000rpm and just moves out fast. If I smack it from a stand still it will turn sideways hook up and run off the 6k tach turn sideways going into second and again into third at about 105. I did a45mph roll on against a 6.2l 4 door short box the sub dropped to third and got gone. The 6.2 went to the basement and started rowing gears. He had me by a fender at the start and that was all he had until I lifted at 105. If it would have dropped into second I would have ate his lunch and from a standing start he wouldn't have a chance. This is a 3/4 ton 4x4 that gets 14mpg at 90 in 4x4 bucking snow. I love that motor. A buddy has one in a 72 k5 blazer with a dart intake, hei and a mild rv cam for a 454 that is tame as he'll and goes like a scalded dog. Best motor gm built. I smoked the motor in a suburban in the mountains got a 27 ft uhaul with an 8.1 loaded the sub in the back and hooked a trailer with 10k on the deck behind it and got 15 coming from VA to MI with the loaded uhaul with the 8.1 and Allison
Thank you for this. I’m going to look into that swap more. Looks like I can get a fairly low mileage one >100k for like 2k. I also saw this video which makes it look like a lot of fun.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what you're describing, I'd go with a mild cam on a 350. If you want to go further, maybe put forged internals in so you could add a turbocharger or supercharger down the line. I'd also recommend to rebuild your 4l60e to 4l65e spec or better bc 4l60e's aren't as bad as people make them out to be, but they don't like anything more than stock power from what I've read about.

383 would also be a great option as well. That would be my next choice.

Also, if you rebuild the transmission, add a transmission cooler. Preferably a GM branded cooler. I have a very bad taste in my mouth for aftermarket coolers bc the previous owner of my truck added one and it failed resulting in my transmission being wiped out.

If you go with a built 350 or 383, something else nice to add, but not as necessary would be an engine oil cooler. I was inspired by this thread on another truck forum posted back in 2010.

Unfortunately, almost all the parts they use are discontinued now. I've searched the wreckers and have had no luck. Right now I'm hoping that I can use a 96-02 Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana 2500/3500 Oil Cooler and lines with a 2500/3500 oil filter adapter and filter. I already got the adapter from the wreckers off a 1997 Chevrolet C2500 and the cooler off Amazon. I also got a WIX 51060XP filter all ready to go so all I need to do is get the lines. I'll add part numbers later if you're interested.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is the wrong way to swap one. My 99 Tahoe required ZERO cutting and 2 new holes drilled in the frame to slide the OE trans crossmember back.
I agree....BUT, that was also a 88 1 ton, wouldn't that make it a square body? I'm not familiar with the difference between that frame and gmt400 frames.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree....BUT, that was also a 88 1 ton, wouldn't that make it a square body? I'm not familiar with the difference between that frame and gmt400 frames.
Still should not require hacking up the frame. Some of those had big blocks. They just used the wrong manifolds and accessories for the swap.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But I also saw this and seems like a lot of frame cutting.

Kodiak or express van accessories will bring the ac compressor up so no frame cutting. There are also adapters to use small block accessory brackets on a bbc and they are drilled for standard and tall deck blocks. I think they use tbi sbc and v6 brackets. Not sure if they work on the 8.1 but I would bet they would. Finding an express van 8.1 would be the easy method. I think that is what 31 Maxx express used