Wheels for a 4/6 drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok help me out. I want to order the black cragar soft 8s from summit, but I'm not sure which to get.

Here is how my truck stands right now with 2" shackles in the rear, but eventually I want to do a 4/6 possibly 5/7 drop with springs and spindles and flip kit and notch in the rear.
You must be registered for see images attach

What I wanted to know is which wheel to get. The 17x8s have 4.5 in. of backspace and the 17x9 have 5 in. of backspace. I was also informed that you need a minimum of 4.75 in. of backspacing in order for 8" wheels to tuck. So there are also 16x8 soft 8s with 5in. of backspace. Which would work better? I've seen members' trucks on fsc that have cragars tucked so I'm just wondering which would be the best option and what tire size would be the best option as well.

These are the two guys trucks who I was referring to chevymane and sweeetnlow:

Last edited:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to sound mean but did you ask those guys since they have the rims an stance you want....

Idk for sure on these trucks but on a square body you need at least 5.25" to tuck, so I would say order the 5" ones. I doubt very seriously you could tuck a 4.75"

I'll be the first one to tell you black wheels are ugly, but that black truck.... :drool:

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to sound mean but did you ask those guys since they have the rims an stance you want....

Idk for sure on these trucks but on a square body you need at least 5.25" to tuck, so I would say order the 5" ones. I doubt very seriously you could tuck a 4.75"

I'll be the first one to tell you black wheels are ugly, but that black truck.... :drool:

Yeah I've tried finding them on there but I couldn't seem to find them. I got the pictures from someone else posting them in reference. Would I need to worry about tucking the wheels if I am just doing a 4/6?. I agree that black truck is a beaut. I'm still not sure about the black on blue for mine. The cragars are just not really expensive which is why I was leaning towards them. I'm open to suggestions though.

ETA: This is where I saw the info about backspacing.
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222435
It is from the internet so it has to be correct info, right? lol

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
mmm makes me want black cragers now lol i would say prob 5" as well man good luck!

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
mmm makes me want black cragers now lol i would say prob 5" as well man good luck!

Ha yea. My ultimate goal is to paint my truck black and have the black on black look. Definitely will be a while before that though. Your truck looks awesome in your avatar and sig line. What drop is on it?

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
not real sure to be honest...I cant find any oem fender hights to no for sure. about 5/7 maybe

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
That black truck in the O.P. is more than a 4/6 drop.
Are you really set on the black wheels? This is my '98 @ 4/6, with the factory SS wheels. I like this look so much, that I have a second set around so I can change 'em from the 20's that are on it now.

bobfig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i found the owner of the black gms. he is a member on fullsizechevy.com "sweetnlow"

from what i can gander he is running 15x8 with a 27" diameter tire.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That black truck in the O.P. is more than a 4/6 drop.
Are you really set on the black wheels? This is my '98 @ 4/6, with the factory SS wheels. I like this look so much, that I have a second set around so I can change 'em from the 20's that are on it now.

I like the look of that. Did you have to roll your fenders? Can I have some details on the tires and wheels. I see ss wheels on ebay.