what to do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Older guy came into work today to get his grandsons drivehsaft redone, his grandson has no interest in automotive blah blah blah, he has an old s10 in his barn mid 80s i believe that hes likely to just sell for scrap cost or what not. so 2-300 im thinking of grabbing it as its clean, low miles and just plain out nice. anyhow cant stand much about a stock 2wd v6 s10. i do like the older ones more than the newer and ive been telling myself to get rid of some parts. i dont need another project i dont have a huge budget but i have a 305 tpi motor, 4wd 700r4 sitting out back, theres an awd stro tcase sitting at work in the scrap pile thats perfectly good, and i have a friend who just parted out his sas blazer with a set of 4.10 jeep d44 front and ford 8.8 rear. now if you see what im getting at whats everyones opinions, not sure if i want to pull the gun on this or how much of a mess all that combp is gonna be. i know little about s10s awd or jeep axles.

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well first the 305/700r4 swap should be pretty easy an straight forward. Lots of people do them shoe horning a SBC into one of these. Their are mods that need to be done an what not. Also need to run electric fans an install all the wiring to allow the TPI to run if you want TPI. Also gotta have the TPI computer too. Now the problem with AWD and jeep axles I really dont kno much about that.

TBH I wouldn't use the astro AWD t-case an go for a NP241 or 208 or something for simplicity of things and you can shift in an out of 4WD.

I would check out the s10 forums on the web an see where you can go from there. I kno theirs a few but cant remember them off the bat.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like a plan other than the astro t case. get on s10forum.com its amazing and easy to navigate. i was on there for a few years when i had my blazer. and there are a few guys that have converted 2wd dimes to solid axle v8 beasts.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
ill have to check it out before i decide on anything. as for wiring, fans and computer i have most of the stuff needed for the swap under control.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
I say go for it! And if your going to go AWD, then make it a street rod... lower it, would be a pretty bad ass AWD truck I would think. Could hook up pretty good considering its go nowhere to go but straight

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
AWD S trucks are like gmt400 2x4/4x4 trucks.

The frame is completely different between 2wd and 4wd from about the cab front floor forward.

You need a 4x4 frame to make an AWD S truck.

With a 2wd, you're looking at a rwd tire frier or jacking it up and slipping a solid front axle in it....

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Sounds pretty awesome to me... Im with everyone else on the astro t-case tho... find something that can be dis-engaged. If you are going sas, it won't matter if its 2x4 or 4x4

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Sounds like a cool project to me

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk