What to do with rear end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a SIX LUG axle to fit the original wheels. If your new wheels aren't six-lug...you'll have to figure out something else.

You're looking for a 14-bolt rear cover. Any 14-bolt cover, with six-lug wheels is going to be a 9.5 semi-float. A 10.5 will be a full-float, and it'll have eight lugs.

You'll need an axle from an '88--'98 4WD truck, the 2WD axles are the wrong width. GET THE MOUNTING HARDWARE WITH THE AXLE. The U-bolts will probably have to be new, the mounting plates are bigger on the 14-bolt than the 10-bolt. As said, front and rear gear ratios have to be the same. Either match the front, or change both. Changing gear ratio also means adjusting your speedometer, and maybe the programming of the computer.

The rear brakes on the 14-bolt rear axles are bigger and better.

You'll have to have one conversion U-joint to get the rear of the driveshaft attached to the axle. I forget the number.

The driveshaft fit as-is on my truck, but I didn't have a lift kit installed. With standard-ride-height, the driveshaft pushes into the trans about half-an-inch more, so I had to polish the yoke to remove accumulated dirt and rust. With a lift kit, i suppose it'll pull out of the trans overall, but "I guess" 1/2 inch less than it would with the original axle and a lift.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The conversion U-joint is Precision #447 (or equivalent)

Yeah, I keep hearing that u-bolts are a one-time deal. Even says so in my '97 service manual--specifically calls out "! Important do not re-use old U-bolts"

OTOH, there's other reasons for not reusing them. ;)
You must be registered for see images attach

Jrowdy

Reaction score
Alright I’m struggling to find this rear end. What are my alternatives? And can you put bigger drum brakes on the 10 bolt?

Ben Barrow

Reaction score
What is a true trac? And where’s the best place to get a 14 bolt sf ? Truck is also 4wd. What all needs to be done to change the gears?
I got lucky and found a $300 parts truck on Craigslist with a 14 bolt sf. If you’ve never changed gears before, it is a fairly complicated and tedious process. Me and my dad did mine and it took us a couple weeks, but we also replaced the seals, brakes and bearings and painted the axle. I put a true trac in mine. They are nice, but they are pretty pricey. I found a package on eBay with gears, install kit and a true trac for $900. For 33’s and towing I would go 4.10. I have 35s with 4.56. Actually gained 1 mpg and it pulls a lot better. Keep in mind you’ll have to regear the front too to use the 4wd.

LSstepside96

Reaction score
most 14sf have 3.73 gears in them, I have two of those axles sitting in my garage right now. plus one under my 1996 stepside with a true trac in it.

Jrowdy

Reaction score
Alright, checked that car-part.com and I have a few more around me than I thought. There all listed by mileage. Does mileage matter on these?
Do all the 14 bolts come with a locker?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alright, checked that car-part.com and I have a few more around me than I thought. There all listed by mileage. Does mileage matter on these?
Do all the 14 bolts come with a locker?

Obviously lower mileage would be ideal but I don't think it makes a huge difference. And no, they don't all come with lockers.

I'm assuming your truck is a 4WD, if so make sure you get an axle from another 4WD truck as the track widths are different between 2WD and 4WD.