What shocks do I buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I have a 2wd with a 4inch lift how do I know what shocks to buy. Since there rough country I'm assuming there bigger then stock but I want bilstein

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that for front and rear? Also stock 5100 will work with the lift?
I just checked them out after they were recommended. Rears work on 2-4" lift and the fronts work on 4-6" lift. Read the reviews on the Amazon page. Plenty people with lift kits happy with them. Maybe someone that has them on will chime in.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FWIW I pulled the original Bilstiens of my 98 Z71 and replaced them w new Bilsteins last year. The truck had about 114k on the odometer.The old shocks were still charged and only slightly less stiff to push down than the new ones. The lower bushings up front were a bit stretched but the shocks were in good shape.The truck rides better w the new ones,but If the worn bushings were replaced on the old ones they would be fine.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I noticed that Rockauto doesn't carry Bilstein shocks anymore (actually not since this spring).
Anybody know why and if they will have them again?

(yes I know there are other places to order Bilsteins from; but I've had good experience with Rockauto - and most importantly, their prices are usually the best - not just the base price but also shipping cost to Europe, very important for me...)

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I noticed that Rockauto doesn't carry Bilstein shocks anymore (actually not since this spring).

They're listed for my truck on Rockauto, but the quantity available is low...... could be a Covid thing.

Reaction score
I just switched out the factory torsion bar keys with Moto keys and the bolt had exactly 1 inch of threads left to crank on the bolt, so I put them back exactly at that thread length and it raised the front end 2".
Anyway I took the existing shocks off before I swapped keys and they were stretched to the point I had to knock the bolts out with a hammer and punch, they were toast so I bought 2" longer shocks and just holding them up to the shock location they look like they will fit real nice.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

(yes I know there are other places to order Bilsteins from; but I've had good experience with Rockauto - and most importantly, their prices are usually the best - not just the base price but also shipping cost to Europe, very important for me...)

I bought mine on Amazon on sale last year for less than Rockauto.