What shocks do I buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd still recommend the Bilstein 4600s over anything else for a stock height truck.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gabriel max control monotube shocks. Grate ride, and inexpensive. Best shocks I have put on my truck in the 19 years I have owned it.

Feintmotion86

Reaction score
For a stock application, 4600 are THE best bolt on shock that are available. I've tried GR2, monroe, and other vehicles have tried various other cheaper brands and they're honestly all garbage. Ask your self why the Bilstein shock is more than the others, and its because they're a lot better. For much better ride quality and durability.

For lifted application, things get a little more hairy. I have 5100's and they're great for most everything but moderate to hardcore trail/desert use.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems to me that nobody gave you any great advice on what shocks to go with. I too am looking for a comfortable ride on a stock vehicle (with larger tires, don't know how much that affects things). I was going to go with the Bilstein 4600s but feel they may be a little too stiff for my liking. What did you decide on and are they working out?
I'm still looking for advice for nice smooth but quality shocks.
In the meantime, I discovered I can get them via Ebay Germany, about 350 Euro for a set of all four ( a litttle over 400 US dollars).
Still a bit pricey... But if someone can confirm they give a nice ride, I'll pull the trigger...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But if someone can confirm they give a nice ride, I'll pull the trigger...

If the Bilstein 4600s rode badly, I wouldn't be using them on both of my '97s. :) IMO they're great.

Our roads here aren't the best, I roll through some massive pot holes once in a while and I have no complaints. If either of my trucks ever need shocks again, I'm replacing them with the exact same thing.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, seems pretty conclusive that its between Bilstein and Gabriel.

Gabriel is literally like half the price (Seeing Gabriels for $30-50ea vs $60-80ea for Bilstein) of Bilstein so if they're even close in quality then I gotta imagine Gabriel is the way to go.

Another thing to note about front end suspension on these trucks, how many of us probably have a rig where the torsion bars are cranked and ruining the ride quality and we don't even know it, I'll bet there's a bunch.

Darkimag22

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Bilsteins on my F150 and just ordered a pair for the rear of my 98 GMC. IMHO shocks are one one of those items you don't cheap out on.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the 5100's, installed those on my 13' F150 FX4 a couple years ago and can't praise them enough. They are height adjustable and soak up off road bumps and back road jumps like butter while delivering a smooth and comfortable ride on the street.

Sucks that Bilstein doesn't offer them for my 91 k1500 with stock - 3inch lifts. Was considering them for the rear with a 2 inch superlift block but think I'm going to give Skyjacker Hydro 7000s from Summit Racing a try...

The reviews all seem to be good, they work with a lift range of 0-3 inches and for less than $200 for all 4 it's a hard option to ignore. Combined we put less than 1,000 miles/year, its a weekend hauler at best, plus the truck has many other issues to address so don't want to blow the entire budget going all out on the suspension just yet.

If it was a DD, or had a more important role in the fleet I'd be more willing to go with an entire suspension rebuild, 4 inch lift and 5100's all the a way around.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just put a set of KYB monomax in my 97 yukon. Old ones were worn out, but in the fee weeks I've been driving it the difference in handling is awesome. Time will be the real test, but I'm currently pleased. They were about half the price of 4600s in Canada.