What plug is this? 1988 C1500 Sierra 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcain226

Reaction score
I am trying to fix a washer pump that is not working; The pump wire, as well as some other wires, lead into this harness that is pictured.

When I pulled off the cover to see what kind of connection the wires had, the inside was all melted and had this gooey tarlike substance everywhere. I pulled out some chunks and cleaned it up a little, but put the cover back on until I could figure out what the harness is for. And I didn't want to cause any damage to something else.

1st question is what is the harness to; and 2nd question is how to fix the washer pump. I changed the pump, but it is not getting power. Could it be the switch that connects to the steering wheel on the blinker bar?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5082.jpg
    IMG_5082.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5083.jpg
    IMG_5083.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5084.jpg
    IMG_5084.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I have to admit I haven't worked on that model truck in a long time, but that looks like the plug where the harness goes into the cab.

jcain226

Reaction score
I have to admit I haven't worked on that model truck in a long time, but that looks like the plug where the harness goes into the cab.
Any idea what the melted tar like substance would be when I pulled the plastic cap back? Everything else seems to work except the wiper washer motor, so not sure what all goes into that harness.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sealant, to keep water out?

On my Luminas, the power for the washer pump goes through the circuit board for the wiper motor; and there's no such thing as a new or rebuilt wiper motor circuit board--they're Treasure Yard only.

But I don't know about the GMT400 wiring scheme. Find the schematic and trace the power path.

RCLB OKC

Reaction score
Although I am just a hobbyist, may I add a couple of comments? I own two GMT400 trucks (one a donor for parts) and I can tell you that the junction box that you opened has a tar-like substance which I assume protects the connections from corrosion and moisture since the wires are, otherwise, exposed to the elements there on the firewall. That said, what I did was cleaned out as much of the substance as possible ( otherwise you won't get a good electrical connection when assembling the box back together). Since I was doing a restoration of my RCLB truck, I actually took the time to de-pin the box and clean each connecting pin, one by one. Since I don't have the tar-like substance to re-apply to the junction box, I used dielectric paste as a substitute. Now to your question about the washer pump. You will have to trace the power source back to the firewall; it might be a poor wire connection, a faulty switch in the steering wheel stalk, or ground. Be patient; as the above writer mentions, a wire diagram would be helpful.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats the old dielectric like grease gm used. It just gets real nasty and tacky when it gets old

jcain226

Reaction score
Although I am just a hobbyist, may I add a couple of comments? I own two GMT400 trucks (one a donor for parts) and I can tell you that the junction box that you opened has a tar-like substance which I assume protects the connections from corrosion and moisture since the wires are, otherwise, exposed to the elements there on the firewall. That said, what I did was cleaned out as much of the substance as possible ( otherwise you won't get a good electrical connection when assembling the box back together). Since I was doing a restoration of my RCLB truck, I actually took the time to de-pin the box and clean each connecting pin, one by one. Since I don't have the tar-like substance to re-apply to the junction box, I used dielectric paste as a substitute. Now to your question about the washer pump. You will have to trace the power source back to the firewall; it might be a poor wire connection, a faulty switch in the steering wheel stalk, or ground. Be patient; as the above writer mentions, a wire diagram would be helpful.
Thank you! I will definitely refill with the paste that you mention!

OLD BLUE 88

Reaction score
When I removed the dash to rebuild the HVAC system on my 88, my attempt to de-couple the harness at the firewall was futile. Fear of tearing something loose. Electrolytic corrosion is my guess.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When I removed the dash to rebuild the HVAC system on my 88, my attempt to de-couple the harness at the firewall was futile. Fear of tearing something loose. Electrolytic corrosion is my guess.
Passenger side? That's not a disconnect; it does not come apart there. It's simply a plastic clip (for lack of better term) that screws to the firewall. The disconnects on that side are at the ECM and a couple other smaller connectors inside the cab.

Richard