What is this!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM used rosette rivits so curious if his may have been changed out

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, pop rivets are used, but they have a design to them that lends the appearance of a flower, hence the name "rosette." They're not perfectly round, but are similar to flower petals.

VIN tag on dash 10th digit R = 1994 model, no debate, unless someone has been d@cking around with the VIN tag. Other 1994 features to look for: gray relay on firewall near brake booster, for the CHSML. 1994 is also ONLY year with the "old" interior, AND the CHMSL. Period. OP does your truck have those?

If not.. time to do some more investigation, and find the partial VIN's on your frame rail and compare to the tag on your dash. BTW rosette rivets are out there on the market for people to buy, although it's a crime to alter/swap VIN tags, regardless of how much some people want to debate that.

Richard

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rosette rivets for reference.. from my '93.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sir, I'd start looking for those alternate locations of the partial VIN on your frame and compare to your dash tag.

Richard
Uh oh. The cab may have been replaced due to a restoration or a rebuild.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I need to research mine too.
Apparently, and I haven't researched the subject fully - but from trusted sources, all GM plants used the rosette rivets for the VIN tag since 1965. Quote from Tom (427SS65; a now-deceased moderator from Chevytalk): "In 1965, the Federal government required US manufacturers to use rosette rivets. They went one step further in 1969 by making the VIN tags up on the driver's side of the dash."

The VIN tag was something I used to pay more attention to since the early 60's GM trucks I used to mess with so much had a weird weld-on VIN tag in the A-pillar; I'd say spot weld but I think it was an induction weld? Not really up on the technology or terms. There were two little dents in the tag that didn't really have a different coloration in the metal where it was stuck to the pillar. This was on the wrap-around windshield cab trucks 1960-1963; I had a couple newer trucks 1965-1966 and never paid attention to the tag other than to confirm the VIN matched the title and the tag didn't look "messed with."

Richard