What headers every one running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff9922

Reaction score
I am looking to get a set of headers but so many to choose from and not sure what's the best fitting brand . What's everyone using ?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
99 Tahoe 8.1 has Edelbrock 2004 Avalanche shorties.

97 Express van has Thorley Tri-Ys.

Zero complaints with either.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
99 Tahoe 8.1 has Edelbrock 2004 Avalanche shorties.

97 Express van has Thorley Tri-Ys.

Zero complaints with either.
Are the Thorleys Mild steel? How are they holding up?

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hedman full-length headers 69440 - $200, or $450 if you want them ceramic coated. I have a rant in my build thread about trying to clean off the cheapo paint they put on them from the factory, just to make it a pain in the butt to clean them and repaint them with $20 worth of good paint. They fit pretty nice, but they leak. It's also hard to route the spark plug wires around them so they don't burn.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twenty-ish years ago, I put Edelbrock "Tubular Exhaust System" headers on my K1500 5.7L TBI. I bought the version with AIR fittings.

I don't know who made them for Edelbrock. They were discontinued a LONG time ago.

I had to replace a header gasket after about ten years. I had to replace the outlet flanges and the donut on the right side header some years after that. The headers are "Stainless Steel" but the outlet flanges, and the flanges on the "Stainless Steel" "Y" pipe were mild steel and rotted away. A year ago, I transferred the headers to a replacement engine. So I'm reasonably satisfied.

OTOH, I can't say that I noticed a performance improvement with them.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are the Thorleys Mild steel? How are they holding up?

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
Ceramic coated T304 Stainless Steel. Holding up great pther than some of the coating starting to burn off.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Twenty-ish years ago, I put Edelbrock "Tubular Exhaust System" headers on my K1500 5.7L TBI. I bought the version with AIR fittings.

I don't know who made them for Edelbrock. They were discontinued a LONG time ago.

I had to replace a header gasket after about ten years. I had to replace the outlet flanges and the donut on the right side header some years after that. The headers are "Stainless Steel" but the outlet flanges, and the flanges on the "Stainless Steel" "Y" pipe were mild steel and rotted away. A year ago, I transferred the headers to a replacement engine. So I'm reasonably satisfied.

OTOH, I can't say that I noticed a performance improvement with them.
I ran those + y pipe on my 350 TPI IROCZ 15 years ago. Never had any issues.

I definitely noticed a performance improvement.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran those + y pipe on my 350 TPI IROCZ 15 years ago. Never had any issues.

I definitely noticed a performance improvement.
I had cheap summit brand shorties on my Express van for a couple of years before the Thorleys went on it. Definately made a difference and the engine ran smoother under load. MPG was up a little too. My Express van never had that cheesy 1-7/8" exhaust tubing though. I think those pipes choke the Vortec worse than the manifolds in stock form.

Should also make note than both of my manifolds had multiple large cracks in them that were pulling air into the exhaust. The PCM was dumping extra fuel into the engine because it was seeing that air as the engine running lean. After the headers went on, I cleared the PCM memory and let it relearn. It woke up very noticeably after a few hundred miles. What I noticed most was that it took less throttle to get rolling and to maintain speed. It downshifted to 3rd way less on hills as well at highway speed.

Last edited:

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had cheap summit brand shorties on my Express van for a couple of years before the Thorleys went on it. Definately made a difference and the engine ran smoother under load. MPG was up a little too. My Express van never had that cheesy 1-7/8" exhaust tubing though. I think those pipes choke the Vortec worse than the manifolds in stock form.

Should also make note than both of my manifolds had multiple large cracks in them that were pulling air into the exhaust. The PCM was dumping extra fuel into the engine because it was seeing that air as the engine running lean. After the headers went on, I cleared the PCM memory and let it relearn. It woke up very noticeably after a few hundred miles. What I noticed most was that it took less throttle to get rolling and to maintain speed. It downshifted to 3rd way less on hills as well at highway speed.
That stock y pipe is terrible. Designed to be restrictive on purpose to keep the cat hot IIRC.

The log manifolds aren't great either.