What have you towed lately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devin Taylor

Reaction score
Might as well revive this one... My beloved 1.0T Fiesta DD beater (yes, I really did love that car) was murdered by a deer two weeks ago so I went down to Tennessee to pick up the new daily. 2013 Golf TDI with 104k fresh off the emissions fix.

You must be registered for see images

This truck sucks fuel no matter what I do. 15mpg average for my 84 mile round trip almost all highway commute (70-80mph), 13mpg towing the empty trailer down to Nashville (75mph), and 11mpg towing the car back up to Ohio (80mph). I've found that it doesn't matter what speed I tow a loaded trailer with as the higher speeds allow it to stay locked up in 4th, so 80mph it is. I think it needs a good intake cleaning based off the junk I saw in there when I did the injectors coupled with the random misfire stumbles it gets once in a while.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^That mpg isn't bad at all.

We are building a new house, so my truck has been towing trees out of the woods. I love what this truck has become.

You must be registered for see images attach

Devin Taylor

Reaction score
2500/5.7/4L80/2WD so a little different but that's good to know. So really I should just ignore the few people that claimed I should get more like 13 towing. Probably the same people that claim their old carbureted station wagon could get 40mpg.

Maybe it helps that I'll let it roll down the hill to 85+ if it then means I can avoid a downshift on the uphill, even if that means eventually slowing down to 70-75 before the peak.

Last edited:

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to know, especially since I'm getting this with a 2500 4L80E truck. So really I should just ignore the few people that claimed I should get more like 13 towing. Probably the same people that claim their old carbureted station wagon could get 40mpg.

Anything higher than 7mpg while towing with a gasser is good. People do funny math, or drive unrealistically sometimes to brag about numbers. Some are REALLY good at tuning/getting their set ups perfect - most of us just pay at the pump. ;)

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
People do funny math, or drive unrealistically sometimes to brag about numbers.

Often times they don't even do math... I don't know how many times I'll ask someone about mileage and they tell me about how far they can go on a tank of gas, but now it's lower/higher so they magically come up with an adjusted mpg number. Rough guesses muliplied/devided by rough guesses means garbage results.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
2500/5.7/4L80/2WD so a little different but that's good to know. So really I should just ignore the few people that claimed I should get more like 13 towing. Probably the same people that claim their old carbureted station wagon could get 40mpg.

Maybe it helps that I'll let it roll down the hill to 85+ if it then means I can avoid a downshift on the uphill, even if that means eventually slowing down to 70-75 before the peak.

I never got 13mpg flat towing in any form of stock or modded with my 1500. Half of the people spouting off mpg claims have uncalibrated speedometers and/or guesstimate off the gauge, i.e. I went 130 miles from 3/4 to 1/4 of a tank, therefore I got 13mpg towing and oh, by the way, I only measured that going downhill with a tailwind. The other thing to consider is your speed. If you towed at 60mph you may have gotten the mpg you were after. Not everyone tows at 80mph, but I sure as hell do if the truck is willing on the off chance I find myself on the inerstate.

Devin Taylor

Reaction score
Yeah the closest tow I do is about 120 miles each way and that one is rare. More likely it's minimum 300 miles and I'm usually trying to get there after work before tech closes. All highway and if 70 vs 80 doesn't matter for FE, you can be damned sure I'm hauling ass to get there before tech closes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers