What ground is this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is the battery to the frame, the frame to the alternator, (usually 2 seperate 4 gauge wires bolted to the frame.
Then a SINGLE ground strap from one or both heads to the FIREWALL. Not the frame... or the starter... Usually is the key word.

Your ECM gets grounded directly next to the passenger head, but I usually attach a long passenger firewall strap directly to the stud holding the COIL to the manifold. It is long enough and it is easier than fiddling with a 3/8"tiny bolt behind the head on the passenger side.

The driver's side head sucks bolting the strap too.

2 head grounds, (or one to the coil), is better than one.

The wire you have is the passenger side or the driver's side head to FIREWALL ground wire.

They are $10 each from AZ or Sum.
Buy 2 and fix all your grounds or you'll screw up the ignition module or cause the ECU to stop working.

Nobody here is stoopid. Trucks are stoopid.
Vortec’s have the frame to firewall and frame to passenger side head(among others). I’m not aware of a ground on drivers side head.
You must be registered for see images attach

Left strap to firewall/Right strap to head.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
Ok everyone i did figure it out.

I do know what the head and frame is im not stupid. AT THE TIME I WAS TRYING TO SEE IF YOU WERE TELLING ME. THE ONE FROM THE FRAME TO THE HEADS IS BROKE. AND AGAIN ALL YOU SAID WAS (FRAME TO THE HEAD) should have said that leaves you with the one from the frame to the head explain what your trying to say to people.
that is good that you figured it out I do not know how much terminalogy you know so a made a very crude picture while it is good that you are fixing this I do not know if it will fix the problems you are having with your truck or not

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
my former friends 99 K-1500 classic had one or both heads grounded I do not remember battery to fender ground there was a ground on the transmission bellhousing I forget where it went to

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well we could write a ton of paragraphs, it was explained in simple terms. The reason things are called or named what they are is so everyone understands, it's specific.
What would help you if your unfamiliar or some is just all new, would be for you to search in the forum for the download links. And download the OE manuals for your year truck. There is basic knowledge of your truck, it starts basic. All different combinations, engine transmission, options decode, wiring digrams, wire loom locations, ground points. Engines, brakes, steering, everything is in there.
If these were available when I younger, I would be so much farther ahead of the game.
Good luck!

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Well we could write a ton of paragraphs, it was explained in simple terms. The reason things are called or named what they are is so everyone understands, it's specific.
What would help you if your unfamiliar or some is just all new, would be for you to search in the forum for the download links. And download the OE manuals for your year truck. There is basic knowledge of your truck, it starts basic. All different combinations, engine transmission, options decode, wiring digrams, wire loom locations, ground points. Engines, brakes, steering, everything is in there.
If these were available when I younger, I would be so much farther ahead of the game.
Good luck!
I apologize im still new to the truck world. I appreciate everything from everyone. Thank you

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Vortec’s have the frame to firewall and frame to passenger side head(among others). I’m not aware of a ground on drivers side head.

Left strap to firewall/Right strap to head.
Thank you. Yea the right one is broken.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From underneath, kinda forward of starter, you’ll see a metal tube like thing. It’s like a wire manager, other wires going through as well. Feed the ground strap from below, as it comes out of top it bolts to head as in picture.

That’s it bolted just to right of transmission dipstick tube.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
From underneath, kinda forward of starter, you’ll see a metal tube like thing. It’s like a wire manager, other wires going through as well. Feed the ground strap from below, as it comes out of top it bolts to head as in picture.

That’s it bolted just to right of transmission dipstick tube.
Yup that is thee one. Do you know where i could find a good oem replacement.