What GMT400 parts are unobtainable in 2019?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To add to the random fuel/ethanol discussion...

I ran ethanol free gas from a small local station in my town for quite a while in both of my '97s. That station did not have top tier gas, however I assumed it was decent. One day I got the feeling that I used to get more miles between fill-ups before I started running the ethanol free. So for the next few tanks I filled up with top tier gas from different stations that contained ethanol. My fuel mileage immediately got much better.

My discovery was that in my particular situation, the top tier gas mattered a lot more than the lack of ethanol. I've been running top tier with ethanol for many years now with no ill effects, both trucks are still running the factory poppet injectors. I'm sticking with top tier supplied stations regardless of the ethanol content. Here's a complete list of them if anyone's interested.

https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Thanks for that good information @df2x4, that actually answers some of my questions regarding what you said. I think I noticed that I am getting the same mileage with the Kwik Star top tier ethanol as the Casey's ethanol-free. With that being said, I will probably continue using top tier ethanol since it's 50 cents cheaper. Power hasn't decreased or anything either like some people have said, I guess it just depends on where you get it.

homesick

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
To add to the random fuel/ethanol discussion...

I ran ethanol free gas from a small local station in my town for quite a while in both of my '97s. That station did not have top tier gas, however I assumed it was decent. One day I got the feeling that I used to get more miles between fill-ups before I started running the ethanol free. So for the next few tanks I filled up with top tier gas from different stations that contained ethanol. My fuel mileage immediately got much better.

My discovery was that in my particular situation, the top tier gas mattered a lot more than the lack of ethanol. I've been running top tier with ethanol for many years now with no ill effects, both trucks are still running the factory poppet injectors. I'm sticking with top tier supplied stations regardless of the ethanol content. Here's a complete list of them if anyone's interested.

https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

You bring up a good point. 'Top Tier' rating aside, you need to be careful which gas stations you use.

I used to always use an old, small, independent station, to try and help the guy out. It cost me too. I had to have my gas tank removed and cleaned.

joe

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got one for ya, doing the brake lines on my 99 k1500 Suburban, the nut that holds the rear rubber line to the bracket is wasted on mine, tried all of the local parts stores, big box hardware stores, lmc, rockauto. nothing. it's one of those paper thin nuts w/ the edges folded up for the wrench w/ a 5/8"id fine thread. I even tried getting a regular nut, around here I can only find a 5/8 w/ coarse thread. even the ones @ the j/y yesterday were not healthy looking. Gonna try to get to the dealer before they close & hope for the best. The old one was so bad that it took me about 20min to get the old one off, there was nothing to grab onto.

I can get several 5/8" fine thread, ultra thin nuts if you need one, in stainless no less. They're used as jam nuts on Caterpillar magnetic pickups. Probably have a couple of used ones just laying around the shop.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can get several 5/8" fine thread, ultra thin nuts if you need one, in stainless no less. They're used as jam nuts on Caterpillar magnetic pickups. Probably have a couple of used ones just laying around the shop.

thanks for the offer, I found some @ Fastenal in packs of 3. Fastenal carries both the stock thin (Pal) nut & standard thickness nuts.

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While I was in the Army in Germany in the early Seventies I remember watching the Motor Sergeant demonstrating that an M35 Deuce and a Half 6x6 could run on gasoline in a pinch, as long as you added motor oil to lube the injector pump. Always thought that the multifuel capability was kinda cool and sometimes wished cars could do the same, especially when diesel was way cheaper than gasoline.

Reaction score
Not sure if this was mentioned yet...Sun visors. New oe sun visors are not easy to come by and used ones in good shape can fetch a decent buck on eBay

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
LMC actually sells sun visors: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=68

But yes, factory sun visors that aren't worn out are hard to find indeed. I actually found a pair of sun visors for my 98 that were pretty much mint, j/y only wanted $5 for them, but they are the pre-94 blue, which is different than the 95-up blue, but that wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Can't seem to find the rubber gasket that goes with the Center High Mounted Stop and Cargo Lamp Housing to fit my C3500. Apparently it came with discontinued Part # 16522433 (Superseded to # 16520605, also discontinued). It's # 6 in the diagram. It'd be nice if the aftermarket would come up with a decent replacement.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ I've never even seen a diagram that mentioned the rubber gasket as its own part. Usually it's included with the 3rd brake light frame with the bulb sockets, and I believe glued to the mounting surface.