What GMT400 parts are unobtainable in 2019?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

s98gmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you not pay extra for the ethanol-free? Or did you mean there's not a huge tax on it? I do know the Super Unleaded (ethanol) is usually 50 cents or more cheaper than Unleaded (ethanol-free).

I bought the cheaper stuff that contains ethanol. I remember there being a big price difference that I wasn't willing to pay, especially since I don't run ethanol free gas anyway. It's difficult to find in most areas.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I bought the cheaper stuff that contains ethanol. I remember there being a big price difference that I wasn't willing to pay, especially since I don't run ethanol free gas anyway. It's difficult to find in most areas.
That's odd how it's difficult to find in other areas. But somehow in Iowa, where most of the corn is grown, it's easy to find ethanol-free gas. Doesn't make any sense, you would think Iowa would have the hardest time finding ethanol-free gas out of any other state.

I've just always used ethanol free since ethanol burns quicker.

s98gmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's odd how it's difficult to find in other areas. But somehow in Iowa, where most of the corn is grown, it's easy to find ethanol-free gas. Doesn't make any sense, you would think Iowa would have the hardest time finding ethanol-free gas out of any other state.

I've just always used ethanol free since ethanol burns quicker.

I live in southern Maine. I can't think of any stations with ethanol free that I've run across in my travels. Out of state is about the same. Iowa is the first state I've driven through (on 80) where it was an option, that I recall. While I love road trips I still have about half the states to go so my experience is still a bit limited. Either way, I'm glad I wasn't fueling my half ton on a 6k mile trip. It only gets about 15-16 mpg in mixed use driving.

I guess we derailed this thread. :) Good dashes for the later years can be hard to find. Mine is near pristine and still has a couple small cracks around the windshield vents. I intend to buy a spare from a junkyard at some point and find a safe place to store it.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For me on the interior side is the note pad holder on the center flip up seat. As my latch broke and I used that Lid for notes all the time.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Mine is broke on both my 96 and 97. I intend to glue them with Devcon Plastic Epoxy one of these days--I've had really good experience with that stuff.

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We are the equivalent of about $6/gal here in NZ for the cheap stuff. I have seen it more than $7/gal.

So gas prices make most parts unobtainable for my GMT400 :rofl:

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
I agree with the dashes, it is super hard to find dashes where the mounting tabs are not broken and or cracks where the bezel fits into. They are out there, but most are either dirty or sun faded. Both of my trucks have reinforcements on the 3 top screws to hold the dash.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with the dashes, it is super hard to find dashes where the mounting tabs are not broken and or cracks where the bezel fits into. They are out there, but most are either dirty or sun faded. Both of my trucks have reinforcements on the 3 top screws to hold the dash.[/

I lucked up on a northern truck with a perfect dash in it, but it will have to wait until next fall to be changed out. Something about 95 degree weather with 70 percent humuggity makes it a not to appealing job for summer. The truck it is in has some skin cancer but runs and drives well, I will drive it for a beater until next fall and then dive into it and change them out.
Somewhere in the future someone will come up with a aftermarket solution to these dashes , there is to many of them out there this way to ignore. Coverlay has a nice hard cover had they just put a little more fore thought into the defroster area and perfected it a little more.

GoWest

Reaction score
Once again, thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread! Even if it’s been derailed a few few times it’s all good. It’s really valuable knowledge to know what to look out for on these trucks in the future.
I’ll keep browsing the site and learning until I find that dream Suburban.
Cheers!

Reaction score
I have had a few cracked dashes, haven't had a problem locating decent new ones when I had to though. The only part I have had trouble locating in my years of searching have been Denali wood grain dash bezels. I have obtained quite a few other rare gmt400 items over time. Those bezels however, have been elusive so far...
side note, just acquired this beaut on eBay for $100, 02 escalade wheel. There are currently 2 more on there for around $100-$150.they are comfy and kind of hard to find
You must be registered for see images attach

My mind was blown when I moved from nj to Iowa and went to caseys for the first time. caseys, for you non midcoast folk is a gas station/convenience chain "famous for their pizza"(as they will repeatedly tell you in an eerily over soothing voice on their 1000 radio ads per hour). So I went to pump my own damn gas(I'm from jersey, we are lazy and have other people pump our fuel for us) and the silver/89octane gas was the cheapest!? And it was cheaper than the 87 by a good amount, .50 I think. I could not figure out why at first, I just assumed it was because I was in Iowa and they were a lil backwards. Turns out the 89 had a higher ethanol content and was therefor cheaper. The hoe didn't like the vegetable content of the 89 (she was a carnivore.dead dinosaurs only) so I ran premium non corny gas from then on.

Last edited:

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Yep, you are right, Unleaded is about $.50 more than Super Unleaded. I notice the same with Casey's ethanol, my trucks just seemed to have burnt more fuel when I put it in. Went back to ethanol free and went back to normal.

I did try Kwik Star gas Tuesday, which is supposedly Top Tier gas. Seems to be good. Put some ethanol in my 97. I guess we will see how much better mileage I get with the Top Tier stuff.