What do you think of this Burb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$4500 US with 88k miles sounds decent and the condition looks pretty good when compared to what is usually being sold these days.

I’m more partial to a 4x4, but that truck wouldn’t give me any heartburn buying at that price. If someone took care of the interior, chances are they took care of the rest.

Leaking oil cooler lines are pretty common and not an expensive fix.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look here at the HP/TQ curves for both engines: https://www.gearvendors.com/cghptorque.html

If you download the images you can actually see the text quite well. I was trying to superimpose one image on top of the other but could not do it. Lots of power curves out there from dyno runs on modified engines, but can't seem to find any stock for either engine except for these?

Anyways, up to about 3,000 RPM, the numbers are somewhat close: maybe around 150 Hp for TBI and 190 Hp for Vortec. Well, maybe not that close? Beyond that, the Vortec has an edge. I think that's consistent to what I hear about the TBIs not making (much) more power as they rev more. But I don't know as I have not driven one, well at least not in the same exact truck configuration as the Vortec. Torque numbers are "close enough."

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
That Burb is pretty nice, though if I were you, I'd look for a 96-98, since they had the Vortec engines. I'd avoid the 95's, they were a mix of old (TBI) and new (interior). They had some one year only electrical components, one year only transmission etc.

Reaction score
Thanks,

My trailer has electric brakes, and my experiences with my 98 Tahoe was to chill and let the world pass me by on the left.

My daily winter driver is a Volvo 240, and then in summer I use a 40 year old BMW or a 60 year old Volvo. With all the traffic these days I'm content to driver slow cars quickly. As long as it can merge while towing without giving me grey hair and keep up with traffic I'm ok.

I agree the price is a shade high - I already got it out of them that it's an asking price - but otherwise I agree. My first job was at a used car lot and it was pretty sketch. Still, most of the plastic bit aren't broken and overall the truck felt tight - probably belonged to some oldtimer and it sat around...

If you're used to modern cars, that truck will feel pokey. It'll do the job but being an automatic and carrying the weight of the Suburban body around you'll most likely slam it as most do. Torque is what gets the job done, and that truck will do a better job towing than the FWD Flex will but it isn't going to feel the same. I drive an '89 K1500 with a 350 TBI and 3.73 gears. However, it's a stick and a regular cab shortbox, so significantly lighter than the 'burban. In the past month I've towed in excess of 4,000 lbs with it with no complaints other than I wish the trailers had brakes as the truck's aren't really up to the task if towing that weight on a regular basis. Don't know how an automatic would tow, I hate 'em..

Anyway, that's just too damn much F'in money for that truck. I hate stealerships too. All they did was buff that one out, throw some tire shine on it and clean the interior. No way I'd pay $6,000 for that, you shouldn't either. Tow package be damned lol. EDIT: If you're looking for a dedicated tow rig, step up to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. You'll be glad you did.

Reaction score
thanks for posting...

Around town it would be fine, but doing the Mtns it might start to get thin on power - I went over the Rockies last summer and it was ok, but I wouldn't want to be down any more than what I had.

Look here at the HP/TQ curves for both engines: https://www.gearvendors.com/cghptorque.html

If you download the images you can actually see the text quite well. I was trying to superimpose one image on top of the other but could not do it. Lots of power curves out there from dyno runs on modified engines, but can't seem to find any stock for either engine except for these?

Anyways, up to about 3,000 RPM, the numbers are somewhat close: maybe around 150 Hp for TBI and 190 Hp for Vortec. Well, maybe not that close? Beyond that, the Vortec has an edge. I think that's consistent to what I hear about the TBIs not making (much) more power as they rev more. But I don't know as I have not driven one, well at least not in the same exact truck configuration as the Vortec. Torque numbers are "close enough."

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
thanks!

$4500 US with 88k miles sounds decent and the condition looks pretty good when compared to what is usually being sold these days.

I’m more partial to a 4x4, but that truck wouldn’t give me any heartburn buying at that price. If someone took care of the interior, chances are they took care of the rest.

Leaking oil cooler lines are pretty common and not an expensive fix.

Reaction score
Ok thanks for all the comments - I have to sh*t or get off the pot, so I'll pass on it and hold out for a Vortec one or an GMT800. I don't need to tow for six months and my AWD Flex can handle it in a pinch for now.

For me a truck is a tool, and I should get something that is better than my Tahoe instead of a push or downgrade....

Comment here helped me make up my mind...

Last edited: