What basic setup do LS engines like? True dual or 2-into-1?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing that I have to ask is, what's the flow difference between the x-pipe into dual single muffler compared to just dual in dual out muffler no x-pipe? My suburban has dual exhaust all the way back into a single dual in dual out muffler. I'll get a video of how it sounds later tonight to show you how that sounds if you're interested. As for muffler brand, i have no clue. It was there when I got it. It looks a lot like the LMC kit they sell though.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing that I have to ask is, what's the flow difference between the x-pipe into dual single muffler compared to just dual in dual out muffler no x-pipe? My suburban has dual exhaust all the way back into a single dual in dual out muffler. I'll get a video of how it sounds later tonight to show you how that sounds if you're interested. As for muffler brand, i have no clue. It was there when I got it. It looks a lot like the LMC kit they sell though.

That's a good question. I would like to know the answer too. And yes I'd be interested in hearing a sound clip.

I've been looking at these DIDO mufflers. They claim to have an internal X-Pipe. I'm sure not all DIDO mufflers do but these two do.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ultra-flo-welded-x-mufflers
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/displayapplications.asp?partnumber=11386

I'm also trying to figure out how much gain a Dual setup with an X (whether internal to the muffler or not) would be over just a good Y-Pipe coming off of my LT headers. I don't have my headers yet. I'm going to do the entire exhaust system all at once.

I'm not trying to completely hijack the thread but my goals are
1. Performance gain. Especially low end torque. I don't care nearly as much about what my engine does at 5K as I do what it does at 2.5-4k
2. I want it as quiet as a performance exhaust can be. I wouldn't mind if it's mean sounding when I open it up WOT but I want a quiet idle and I CANNOT handle highway drone.
3. Cost. I'm trying to keep this a cheap as I can but I need to meet #s 1&2. If that means I have to put it off and save up for a more expensive system then so be it. I'm moderately interested in doing it all myself to save some $$. So if it can be simple with less bends and turns that makes it easier to DIY.

Draggin: No cats?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No I don't have cats on any of my trucks, Also I have a D.I. D.O. 3 inch magnaflow with built in X on my dually with 454, and as I have said before they sound fine with cats but to they sound terrible without cats, they pop just like glass packs which I personally hate, I plan to put 2 40's in it's place soon with a seperate x before them.