Do shorty headers add any tone and power to a stock l31 with a super 40 2 into 1 muffler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As a repair, yes. As a performance upgrade, no.

I'm not wasting my time to remove functioning manifolds for shortys. My opinion of course.
Not trying to change your mind, but for the sake of others on here. Make no mistake, I am a tri-y or atleast a long tube kind of guy, however I have run a few sets of shorties on numerous vehicle makes and models. Shorties still offer a signifigant power increase for those that are bound by emissions. I have had 2 different Nissan VQ V6 engines that I replaced the OE tubular manifolds with shorties on. Both gained power that was easily noticed. The extremely short primary, dump collector design sucked on the OEM manifolds and the shorties equal length merge collector combined with the longer primaries added considerable torque to them. I did not even spend $150 a pair on the Nissan headers. Both were "Used" but merely open box items from Amazon. While they call then "shorty" the VQ headers are more like a mid length.

I have had experience with shorties on the 97 van, the 80 Corvette, the 03 4.7 Dakota, the 07 G35 Sedan and the 2011 Pathfinder 4.0L as well as the shorties from the 97 van that went on my brothers 99 Suburban.

Not a single one was a dissapointment before and after. They all smoothed out the torque curve with gains at peak and even bigger gains in other areas of the power curve. There were places the equal length shorties picked up ~25 ft/lbs on the VQ35HR. The Pathfinder runs more smoothly, has noticeably more get up and go and holds speed with less throttle and less downshifting towing a ~4,000 lbs trailer. The shorties are definitely better designed than the OEM, get the engine to fit in the chassis and hope some exhaust gets out method factory engineers use.

What came off The G35
You must be registered for see images attach

What went on

What came off the Pathfinder

What went on it

These replaced the literal log manifolds on the Dakotas 4.7L. That 03 4.7 had the HO cams and 2008+ intake manifold on it to start with and got a best of 21.5 mpg highway. First trip post headers it managed 24 mpg cruising 75-80 mph most of it. It was definitely choked by the stock manifolds. That Dakota also had somewhat of a hack method of tuning as well. It was an early 03 NGC1 controller that nobody supports tuning wise. I had a Superchips I had previously run on my Ram before I bought the SCT tuner package for it. I flashed the Superchips into it and had a PSC1-003 signal adjuster on the MAP sensor. By manipulating the MAP sensor voltage to the PCM I was able to dial in the fueling to compensate for the airflow changes. At WOT the truck thought the manifold was at 105 KPA for example. For something the manufacturer claimed one could not add additional fuel with it worked exceptionally well doing. Post headers I had to give the PSC1 a nearly 5% increase in MAP voltage across the whole map to keep it from running lean.

That Dakota was a fun little truck. Little V8 with a 3.55 gear and still hard to get it to hook up. My brother had a 98 R/T with the 360 and 3.92 gear and I wore him out with that little 4.7 he could get a door length on me until 30 mph then I left him far behind. Then he bought a 2013 Avenger 3.6L put a large cone filter in the stock airbox and a magnaflow muffler, deleted the resonator and wore me out until it smoked the transmission for the 3rd time.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1999 Suburban LS 2wd with a 1995 LT1 F-car cam, 1.6 full roller rockers, JBA shorties, 2-1/4 true duals, Nissan Titan secondary cats, no mufflers and possibly a Volant air intake. S10 converter and tuned PCM. 3.42 gear and a lincoln arc locker. We put a Summit 2" H-pipe on it as well at some point, honestly do not remember if it was present when we did this. Also kind of question if the Volant was on it or not in this clip, but I believe it was. I believe this was while we were fine tuning it after installing the Volant.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a suburban with a 2 into 1 super 40 routed with the stock tailpipe and no tips. I’m wondering if getting shorty headers will enhance the sound I already have, and if it will even have and drive ability differences. don’t want to go longtubes I like the low end power and not ready to get a cam yet.
I just installed a set of Gibson shorty's that I found at a Pick N Pull...not an L31 Vortec engine though.

Gibson makes a great product, was very easy to install, and no issues.

My opinion is the same as @L31MaxExpress, anything is better than stock for better flow and a slight increase in performance.

Attachments

• 2023-09-02 - used Gibson headers 1.jpg
    2023-09-02 - used Gibson headers 1.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 2023-09-02 - used Gibson headers 2.jpg
    2023-09-02 - used Gibson headers 2.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 8

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a myth that if you add more CFM capacity to the exhaust you will increase HP, or the limiting factor of your stock engine is the factory exhaust. It's not true, or at least rarely true. Long tubes make more HP because of exhaust scavenging. The exhaust pulses are timed to follow each other better with long tubes.

I'm not saying shortys can never make more power, but I've not seen a dyno of shortys that made me want to spend the time/money on them.

I could leave it stock, or I could do shortys for 0-8 HP, or I could do long tubes for 25 HP. That middle option is not attractive to me.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been following this thread for a while and wondering about headers in general.

Does anyone make an inexpensive set of Tri Ys for the L31? I see lots of cheap shorties and long tubes out there for just a few hundred bucks but what few tri Ys I have seen so far have been really expensive.

Will it make much of a difference long tubes vs tri Y for a stock L31 daily driver? (lift/4.88s/37s but stock motor). I'd be willing to re-do the rest of the exhaust if needed, and no smog to worry about.

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds a little deep, not much looks nice expensive, and if you don't route your wires right it'll burn your plug wires. $600 bucks for shorties hard to say if it was worth the headache. It's just eye candy to me

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ceramic coat did change colors I didn't know there was a process to cook it to keep its color here's when it was installed new.

Attachments

• IMG_20220612_130039.jpg
    IMG_20220612_130039.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 17

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a myth that if you add more CFM capacity to the exhaust you will increase HP, or the limiting factor of your stock engine is the factory exhaust. It's not true, or at least rarely true. Long tubes make more HP because of exhaust scavenging. The exhaust pulses are timed to follow each other better with long tubes.

I'm not saying shortys can never make more power, but I've not seen a dyno of shortys that made me want to spend the time/money on them.

I could leave it stock, or I could do shortys for 0-8 HP, or I could do long tubes for 25 HP. That middle option is not attractive to me.

On the L05 and L31 350s though it is not a myth, it is the truth. The exhaust is the biggest choke point on a stock truck. Once you change the exhaust, the cam becomes the biggest choke. One you change the cam, it is the intake. After tuning, the first place I go for added power on a SBC is the exhaust. It is the cheapest/easiest low hanging fruit so to speak power wise.

This is kind of a typical shorty header dyno I have seen multiple times over. 0-8 hp range like you mention, but +20 ft/lbs across a broad rpm range, right where you drive the thing 99% of the time between 2,500 and 4,500ish rpm. This was on a Hemi but still kind of representative of what happens going from restrictive logs that do not scavenge to shorties that have some scavenging effect. Looking at peak numbers rarely reflect what happens to average torque numbers with headers.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a VQ35HR with the headers I have on it. You absolutely feel that power increase even in normal driving at less than WOT. Best way to describe it is the car feels lighter from the added torque. Since the curves are smoother overall, the acceleration also feels smoother. 55 mph is about 3,500 rpm in that chart (that sweep is roughly 3K to 7,500 rpm, to gain ~18 hp at 3,500 is close to 30 ft/lbs of torque gained.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I made a departure from my normal on the L31 I just built. I usually have headers of some type on the engine, but I put Holley performance manifolds on it. Compared to the GM manifolds the internal passageways are larger and they have 2.5" ID outlets. These manifolds should actually breath well enough to make 450+ HP on a SBC with enough engine to do it.