Do shorty headers add any tone and power to a stock l31 with a super 40 2 into 1 muffler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s a good comparison. You can hear the engine trying to force the air out of the manifolds. I like the deep throatiness of the shortys. The Tri-ys make the engine almost sound effortless. Very smooth.
Yep, have another one as well. Ignore the actual acceleration though. The truck with stock manifolds was a factory SV Sport version that sat lower than any other Titan version it sat next to, had the good performance gears despite being a 2wd. The truck with headers was a heavier 4x4, with a level kit and 33s on it. I also did a 4Hi launch in the 4x4. If you looked at the clip alone and judged off the speed you would think that it lost a load of get up and go when in fact it was two vastly different trucks, with the same engine and exhaust setups save for headers.

My 2012 2wd Titan with stock manifolds
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

My 2014 Pro4x 4x4 Titan with headers

Headers on the Titan were mid length, near equal length, and 2.5" merge collectors. I still had cats on the 2014, just slightly down from where they were.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Dakota had a good smooth sound to it with the JBAs and 2.5" duals exiting in front of the passenger rear wheel with a magnaflow internal X muffler. Its almost a shame that truck got passed around and beat on like something unwanted and everyone hated it. My brother owned it, I owned it, our buddies dad owned it, his kids all drove it, then it came back to my brother and I and he used it for a while and finally sold it. It had 2 different intake manifolds, 3 different sets of cams (HO, then 218/224 Cranes and finally a set of 08 factory cams), broke a valve spring and introduced that valve to the piston without damaging the piston on my buddies dad, got a rebuilt head downgraded to the 08 cams for driveability reasons and kept going.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will also add from running across another set of clips from memory lane, what the exhaust sounds like with one cam profile may be completely different with a different cam profile. Case in point, same exhaust and only a cam change. I had a hard time believing it sounded so different. Nothing changed except the cams. Cam timing can drastically change the exhausts tone and sound.

Stock 4.7 Cams

Stock 4.7 HO cams

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made a departure from my normal on the L31 I just built. I usually have headers of some type on the engine, but I put Holley performance manifolds on it. Compared to the GM manifolds the internal passageways are larger and they have 2.5" ID outlets. These manifolds should actually breath well enough to make 450+ HP on a SBC with enough engine to do it.

You must be registered for see images attach
Would you (please) be able to tell me if those (factory installed) van exhaust manifolds are the same as the C/K1500 would have received?

When I first got this truck, I contemplated getting some headers, but I wanted something trouble-free, and it sure doesn't get any more trouble/headache-free than running manifolds - no rust issues, not header gasket leaks. ect...
I am pretty sure I saw an advert on Hemmings Muscle Machines a while back for these, but put it in the back of my mind - because I wasn't at the time thinking of my truck.

I looked these up, and unless you have something else, I think Holley is selling these under the 'Hooker' name, and I believe that these might be the ones you bought: