What’s the best 4x6 speaker ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow.....there were ALOT of subjects discussed in this thread!! HahHa I freakin love it!!!
I'd like to chime in on the whole speaker, front staging, speaker placement, sound quality (hope I didn't forget anybodys subject) discussion....
First off, this is strictly my opinion!!!
A 4x6 speaker is a terrible speaker!!! On no planet is an oval speaker a good idea, except for the 6x9, the golden exception!
An oval speaker is like putting a 3 cylinder motor in a dump truck!!!
For my average listeners and enthusiasts, id recommend a 4x6 plate with a 4" and tweet component..... if you have no budget, id recommend the Hertz Millie Legend 3" in the dash or A pillar, The Millie Legend tweet in the A pillar, and the 7" in a kick or door panel... Fully electronic would be my choice, but the Hertz passive xover can do the job as well!

Amps.... class A/B all the way for the win on sound quality!!!

Once again my opinion!

Last edited:

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all you that just wanna know.... here is the model, price, and specs of the 3 and tweet component....
You must be registered for see images attach

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's half what I payed for Frank! Too rich for my blood!
The Kickers have made things clear in my music that I never heard before so I'm happy with them.
Right! It takes the right customer to appreciate those speakers! I see people saying that home audio ruined car audio for them..... I say compare apples to apples! Back in the 90s I built probably 100 cars that competed in different classes of USAC and IASCA, with plenty of wins!!! I've built **** that would give you goosebumps and raise your hair!!!! Apples to apples people!

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Better speakers would ruin cost-effective (cheap) speakers for me!
I'm getting the heebie-jeebies just thinking about the $350 head unit I want!

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better speakers would ruin cost-effective (cheap) speakers for me!
I'm getting the heebie-jeebies just thinking about the $350 head unit I want!
hahaha..... dont wanna set that bar to high! well, if you need a better price on that radio, shoot me a pm with the make and model and ill see what my price is. Maybe i can help a fellow GMT400 out....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see people saying that home audio ruined car audio for them..... I say compare apples to apples!

Honestly this is true, but IMO it's a lot more expensive to do in a vehicle.

I heard a system with some German "Rainbow" components back in the day and it was incredible, but I think the 6.5"s were something like $3K a set.

Darkimag22

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a JL Audio C1 component set (6.5s in the front doors and tweeters also in the stock location near the power window switches) and running off deck power (Pioneer AVH-X7700BT) have to say I was impressed. For $170 you can't go wrong. I have a high end system in my other vehicle (Focal K2 3way front stage, Focal K2 12" sub, Audison amp/processor, Audio Control mono amp, etc) and am wanting a budget build for this truck. In all honesty, I would forget the rear 4x6 speakers and put that into a better deck, amp, sound deadening, etc. For a proper sound stage, you don't want/need rear fill. Just my $0.02.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In all honesty, I would forget the rear 4x6 speakers and put that into a better deck, amp, sound deadening, etc. For a proper sound stage, you don't want/need rear fill. Just my $0.02.

As someone who got this exact same advice from another member here years ago and didn't listen, I agree now. I put some 4" components in the rear of my '97 single cab with a small amp of their own. Many years later the amp died, and it made such little difference that I just pulled the fuses on that amp and have been running fronts and subs only. I feel like if anything it sounds better without the rears.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a JL Audio C1 component set (6.5s in the front doors and tweeters also in the stock location near the power window switches) and running off deck power (Pioneer AVH-X7700BT) have to say I was impressed. For $170 you can't go wrong. I have a high end system in my other vehicle (Focal K2 3way front stage, Focal K2 12" sub, Audison amp/processor, Audio Control mono amp, etc) and am wanting a budget build for this truck. In all honesty, I would forget the rear 4x6 speakers and put that into a better deck, amp, sound deadening, etc. For a proper sound stage, you don't want/need rear fill. Just my $0.02.
BTW choice components! what vehicle is this installed in? I bet that thing sings! you do that K2 sealed? I bet the Mid bass moves the pant leg!

Im so sorry to the Author for side tracking this thread!!!!