Weird stalling issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is sounding like the lock up solenoid or bad converter.

You can pull the 4-pin connector on the trans and see if it still stalls. That would eliminate the TC is being told to lock through a stuck solenoid or short in the wiring. If it still stalls, sounds like exploratory surgery is required.

My bad about the confusion earlier.

livinginh

Reaction score
Ok, the truck ran fine one day, I parked it. Changed the back brakes. Got in to test and that's when it started doing this.

So let me get this right, if I unplug the 4 pin and it still stalls, then it's not the tc or the solenoid?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So let me get this right, if I unplug the 4 pin and it still stalls, then it's not the tc or the solenoid?
No, if it still stalls we'll know the solenoid and/or wires are not the issue but, we won't know what is causing it yet.

livinginh

Reaction score
So it could still be the TC itself?

The truck is stuck about 40 minutes from home, I'm waiting for a friend of mine with a rollback to go get it. I'm just trying to get ideas where to look for when I do.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so you parked it, did the brakes, and when it wasn't acting right you drove it 40 minutes away? LOL

How much confidence do you have in the brake job you did?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So it could still be the TC itself?

The truck is stuck about 40 minutes from home, I'm waiting for a friend of mine with a rollback to go get it. I'm just trying to get ideas where to look for when I do.

Yes, and many times when a converter goes south it sends debris into the trans so that should go through a teardown as well.

livinginh

Reaction score
so you parked it, did the brakes, and when it wasn't acting right you drove it 40 minutes away? LOL

How much confidence do you have in the brake job you did?

No I took it to a friends to do the brakes because my garage wasnt finished at home.
It hasnt moved since.

I'm very confident in my brake work.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the Idle RPM? I believe 650 is the desired setting. If the truck is running smooth but the idle is too low it won't have enough torque to turn a static torque converter.
Do 1988 Era motors use a mechanical idle adjustment and a solenoid for fast idle?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do 1988 Era motors use a mechanical idle adjustment and a solenoid for fast idle?
The TBI (88-95) has an IAC (Idle Air Control) stepper motor that will maintain desired RPM from the ECM. I have mine set at 650 and 700 with A/C on. When you put the truck in gear the IAC should compensate for the extra load.