Weird stalling issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

livinginh

Reaction score
What is the Idle RPM? I believe 650 is the desired setting. If the truck is running smooth but the idle is too low it won't have enough torque to turn a static torque converter.
Do 1988 Era motors use a mechanical idle adjustment and a solenoid for fast idle?

Idle is around 700rpm, I'll have to see if there is a way to upload a video here, then you can see exactly how it is acting.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I believe the issue is fuel mixture related, in these situations you still want to know that specific paramaters are within spec.
Based on the information provided it sounds like the problem occurs whether in closed or open loop.
Since this is obd1 is it easier to back pin the O2 sensor? Once it warms up shouldn't the voltage peaks settle at..8-.9 volts DC?

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I just remembered, remove the IAC and clean the plunger, orifice and passages.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll give the IAC a shot, but I really dont believe it or fuel related. I thought EGR at first too but I ruled it out also.
Does RPM dip and recover when AC is turned on? This is a small indication if your IAC is not reacting fast enough.

Does yours have an idle stop solenoid? I would put 12v to it to verify that it is working too.

livinginh

Reaction score
Does RPM dip and recover when AC is turned on? This is a small indication if your IAC is not reacting fast enough.

Does yours have an idle stop solenoid? I would put 12v to it to verify that it is working too.

As for the AC it doesn't work, that was my next thing after the brakes. I'm not sure about the idle stop solenoid, I'm thinking no, but I will have to look to be sure

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the idle stop solenoid was meant to maintain "fast idle" while cold during warm up. I know the name doesn't reflect that function. Thiink of it as an electric way to change where the throttle stops.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
THere is no idle stop solenoid. Just the IAC motor and the computer which controls it. There is a mechanical adjustment for base idle, which was set by the factory to something like 450-550rpm. Should not need to be readjusted (why it has a cap over it) unless someone punched that cap out and was dickering with it.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
THere is no idle stop solenoid. Just the IAC motor and the computer which controls it. There is a mechanical adjustment for base idle, which was set by the factory to something like 450-550rpm. Should not need to be readjusted (why it has a cap over it) unless someone punched that cap out and was dickering with it.
If that is the case, I would highly suspect an air blockage in the IAC circuit. Just enough air to idle but not enough to support a load of any kind.

livinginh

Reaction score
If that is the case, I would highly suspect an air blockage in the IAC circuit. Just enough air to idle but not enough to support a load of any kind.

It revs fine too, I can punch the throttle and there is no stumble at all, idle drops right back where it should. Could that still be IAC?