Weird stalling issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

livinginh

Reaction score
My 88 K1500 350 auto overdrive,
Truck starts perfect, motor idles and revs perfect. As soon as I put it in gear it dies. It will move if I keep the idle up and stay off the brake, but obviously that's hard on a driveline.

Is there any idea of what would cause this? There is no sputtering or anything like that, it literally just shuts off so to speak.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your fuel pressure. You can get a free tester at Autozone.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 - your pressure s/b 11 - 13 PSI, GM specs 9 - 13 but when it gets down to 9 you'll start having issues.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll check but it really doesnt act like a fuel related problem.
Let's eliminate this before throwing $$$ at it. The next thing would be taking a water bottle and spraying the coil with water while idling and see if it stumbles worse. Make sure your plug wires aren't laying close to your wires going to the distributor or the coil. These things won't cost you anything, well maybe a spray bottle. Then you can hook up a scanner and data log when it dies to see if you can find any anomalies.

A lot of folks have had issues with the ICM (Ignition Control Module) especially with non AC Delco distributors. My Spectra Premium distributor's ICM went out in less than 3000 miles.

livinginh

Reaction score
I'll try to explain it better, it starts and the motor runs smooth, it revs smooth. The moment you shift from park to either reverse or drive it kills it. It's not an intermittent problem, it happens every time.
I can get it to move by putting to t case in low and not using the brake. If that makes sense. But if I hold the brake like you normally do it will die every time

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So when you hit the brakes it stalls, regardless of gear position (Park, Drive, etc.)?

If so, it sounds like a brake booster issue causing a vacuum leak. A quick test may be removing the booster vacuum hose and plugging the end of it, seeing if it solves it. Of course, your brakes will stink so I wouldn’t drive it like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

livinginh

Reaction score
No it stalls when I put it in gear, its almost like the transmission stops the engine. It's like holding the brake pedal on a standard transmission and letting the clutch out.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is sounding like the lock up solenoid or bad converter.

Your not very clear in your description. With your foot holding on the brake and you drop it in gear it kills it every time? With foot off brake it will start to roll but acts ike there is no stall or torque multiplication? Like trying to power out in high gear?

Last edited:

livinginh

Reaction score
I know it's hard to explain in print, but yes you hit it on the head. If I am holding the brake and put it in gear it kills it. But if I have enough room and drop it in gear with out holding the brake it will go till I try and stop it then it dies.

I was wondering about the converter if it would cause this. I've never had one fail like this so didnt know