weird idle on my 97 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logant12

Reaction score
so I ran a 600 mile round trip on my 5.7 with 200k miles on it everything ran perfect next day was checking fluids and It looked like my plug wire was not on the plug very well so I pulled it and decided to check the plug and somehow I snapped it in two so I took all of them out and got 8 brand new ones I put them in and just put the plugs back on and didn't add anymore grease it looked like it was still good. when I idle in park im at about 400-500 rpm and when im in a gear not moving its jumping between 1000-500. is there something don't wrong here the spark plugs are a 0.060 gap so I don't think that's an issue. my other possibility is my stuff hooked up on my positive battery terminal are really loose, they will stay still driving but can be moved easily with my hands. can the battery also be my source of the rough idles. I need some ideas.

Logant12

Reaction score
Id think so I took my intake box off to get a better angle when I changed them is the vac lines in the passenger side?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think so.... I don't remember. But I know the MAF and intake air temp sensors are over there. MIL light on?

Logant12

Reaction score
No I don't have a MIL light on, so what your saying is check all my vaccum lines

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Be 900% positive all the plug wires are on correctly. I get bashed pretty regular for saying that, but I know as well as everyone else, that we have all done it at some point.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Be 900% positive all the plug wires are on correctly. I get bashed pretty regular for saying that, but I know as well as everyone else, that we have all done it at some point.
What he said. I swear I can't ever get the plug wires exactly right the first time. And I usually swear that's not the problem until I check it for the 3rd or 4th time

Logant12

Reaction score
didn't get time to work on it today I did some research and a buddy of mine was telling me that the IAC gets clogged with stuff so I was directed to clean it with carb cleaner and try it again if no luck then just get a new one. And Im 99% sure I didn't mess up my plugs as I did them one at a time

Logant12

Reaction score
so I cleaned the IAC and triple checked the schematics and my plugs are all hooked up at first my code reader threw a p0300 for a misfire I cleared it and it went away, no on my dash command I have 4 symptoms that tested bad Catalyst Monitoring,O2 sensor,02 sensor heat, EGR system monitoring. so where would be my first place to start? I have this feeling my cats are clogged up mainly because my engine seems to be a lot hotter or it could be the weather all I know. but my truck idles Farley normal in park but any driving gears it is about 400 still and when I first accelerate it seems to not be as snappy as it used to be. any help would be good I'm just needing her back in her prime again