Water in the cylinders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I was just given a 1996 GMC Sierra 2500. I haven't dug into the engine yet but the original owner said that when he went in to change the spark plugs water ran out of the plug. What could this be? Intake manifold gaskets? Its a pretty decent truck but it hasnt had the best care the past 4 years. (Its just been sitting since then other then a few drives). He also said that he let one of his buddies borrow it who drove it with a leaking radiator. Like I said, its in pretty decent condition other than what I have described. Just needs some tlc. My plan is to get this engine running pretty good while I look for another to stick in there. The original engine has 236XXX
miles on it. And in the meantime take care of stuff like brakes and hoses and body work (only has one dent in the tail gate and the hood paint id peeling) I want to restore it to a daily driver. With, of course, a 4 inch rough country suspension lift, tool box, interior restore, fog lights, ect. Lets just say I have big plans for this truck haha

You must be registered for see images attach

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
best case scenario: intake gaskets.

Not so good but survivable scenario: head gasket.

Worse case scenario: cracked head or block.

Is it running now with "water" getting in to the cylinders?

Reaction score
Great white: he initially told me cracked head but I highly doubt that because it will run. It runs kinda rough but not cracked head or block rough. And I'm taking his word for the water in the cylinders . He just told me that last year he went to change the plug and when he pulled out the spark plug there was water dripping from the place it plugs into . He didn't really need the truck so he just said whatever to it and hasn't thought about it since.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Might be worth your while tear the heads off for a look.

Or at least pressure check the cooling system and a compression check...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeraldinmendez