Wanting to throw the original radio back in my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn that’s a pretty penny, that is cool though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203107719449

Saw this one for a bit more, but honestly I think I’ll save the money and just buy a cassette to bt adapter unless my job decides to give a 200$ bonus lol. I may consider it later down the line, or I might try to find someone who will convert it for me.

Why not a bluetooth to RF adapter?

I have one of these. Works great. No wires. Just looks like a phone charger.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GJ7DHMP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Apparently they have an updated version. Probably worth looking into that one:

https://www.amazon.com/SmartCharge-...-B0813L778N/dp/B0813L778N/ref=dp_ob_title_wld

Last edited:

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I read somewhere the Bluetooth addition only works for playing music from the phone, not for making or answering calls. Is that so? I have an aftermarket unit but my stock radio is still in the truck, and I have the CDM stored away. I’m considering going back to the stock radio myself.
My bluetooth to RF adapter works fine for calls.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am happy I'm not the only one that likes the stock radio. One of these days I want to do an LOC and amp to power some better speakers, but for now I still have the oem speakers and everything. WOrks fine. Best thing I did was 'soundproof' the truck.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If u add a line output converter and tap into rear speakers lines a factory radio can send signal to an amp...as for controlling sub level, ur not gonna with factory unit besides just bass setting. If your amp has a bass knob ur all good, if not u can get a LOC with a bass knob or put a LC1 between loc and amp, that is the cheapest way to go. Any audio questions or need wiring diagrams , feel free to pm me, a mecp certified installer with over 25 years experience and literally 1000s of installs worth of experience.
So my amp doesn't have a bass knob, will the stock radio just play at max bass or will it be in between?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
There will still be a Gain setting on the amp itself, set it there, then control the bass via the deck's overall bass adjustment. That how I ran my 97 for a while.

John Hendrix

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents...

if you are like me, you do not like the aftermarket radios as they are only able to be mounted into the center vent assembly and look like crap. They are usually well equipped to make adding accessories like amps very simple and offer all the features of the modern truck with Bluetooth and such, but they are ugly and not easy to reach.

I recently upgraded my 1993 SCSB with an aftermarket radio from a company called Retrosound.

The head unit mounts in the factory location and looks like it belongs there. It is better than the center vent location in my opinion.
It also has a “brain” that mounts under the dash.

It has:
2 auxiliary inputs, 2 USB inputs, Pre amp outputs and Bluetooth with hands free calling. It is IPhone friendly.
I also added the SIRIUSXM module to mine.

I have had for 3 months and can’t complain about it other than it takes too long to turn on.

Again, just my 2 cents, but maybe worth looking at.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents...

if you are like me, you do not like the aftermarket radios as they are only able to be mounted into the center vent assembly and look like crap. They are usually well equipped to make adding accessories like amps very simple and offer all the features of the modern truck with Bluetooth and such, but they are ugly and not easy to reach.

I recently upgraded my 1993 SCSB with an aftermarket radio from a company called Retrosound.

The head unit mounts in the factory location and looks like it belongs there. It is better than the center vent location in my opinion.

It has:
2 auxiliary inputs, 2 USB inputs, Pre amp outputs and Bluetooth with hands free calling. It is IPhone friendly.

I have had for 3 months and can’t complain about it other than it takes too long to turn on.

Yeah I've seen them. IIRC the OP mentioned them earlier in the thread. They are not cheap unfortunately, but they look great. The other alternative is some marine head units are available in a size very similar to our factory radio and can be made to fit.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my amp doesn't have a bass knob, will the stock radio just play at max bass or will it be in between?
Ultimately it will be where u set your gains ( not the recommended way to do it tho) u should set your gains where it is distortion free at a max distortion free volume ) but the bass setting on your head unit will have some effect on your subs output tho. Ur case with a LOC makes it the easiest to set a gain with distortion tho. You have to find the head units max clean volume first, then with volume at that level u need to set the "gains" on the LOC to distortion free,and then u can finally set the amps gain. Alot of work but will pay off in the end, unfortunately you won't be able to set ANY if it properly without spending money on either a oscilloscope or a smd dd1, the second being the easiest to use. With a aftermarket head unit it's generally accepted that 80 percent of max volume is where distortion starts ( main name brand units atleast) meaning if ur volume goes to 100, at 80 would be point where it starts putting out distortion. Something like u r doing u can do by ear tho and be reasonably safe, turn radio up with both bass and treble centered till it sounds like crap, turn down slowly till sounds clean, then turn LOC levels about half and then do the same with amp gain, turn up till sounds like crap and back down till it sounds clean...if it's too much bass, u can back down amp gain till it's a bit too loud and then turn down bass on headunit. That'll do two things, one it'll give u control of sub and two will keep some bass out of the door speakers which will fart and rattle and eventually kill em. If I set my gains by ear if smoke my subs a minute into first song, no distortion is crucial when ur running big power, I run 3 15s on 8k watts and can run 45 minutes easy with no hot coils or stink in my subs so it's important! If you don't already have a LOC , but one that has a bass knob or similar. Need help finding one lemme know I'll get u a link to one. If u already have a LOC u can tie in behind dash, u can add a LC1 and mount it where u can control sub there too... probably best/cheap way to go, a LC1 is like $12 and short rca cable like $10.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents...

It has:

Yeah I’ve seen those, but not personally a fan. My reasoning may be stupid, but things like the font, the knobs, and the coloring just look off when compared to the climate controls right under it. Also, they’re very expensive, it’s like 300$ for one of those and I just ordered a 5 bar equalizer stock radio for 80 after taxes, so for me I’ll stick with the stock one. Plus, I have a few cassettes laying around and the stock radio has a player, so that’s a bit of a bonus for me.