Want to go double din... modernizing suggestions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

luconi

Reaction score
As the title says above I want to start looking at modernizing my head unit from my AM/FM cassette deck from 1998.

I heard metra sells a dash kit for a somewhat and clean looking installation. This will be paramount.

I would like to keep stock speakers (at least for size)

For a head unit. Would like something with a high resolution touch screen... I would like something that uses both android auto and apple car play so I can easily tether my phone in for music, gps, etc... It would be great to install a backup camera as well.

what else should I be looking at that I have not explored?!

I'm so out of the game on what's decent out there these days that will work best. I need some direction!

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As the title says above I want to start looking at modernizing my head unit from my AM/FM cassette deck from 1998.

I heard metra sells a dash kit for a somewhat and clean looking installation. This will be paramount.

I would like to keep stock speakers (at least for size)

For a head unit. Would like something with a high resolution touch screen... I would like something that uses both android auto and apple car play so I can easily tether my phone in for music, gps, etc... It would be great to install a backup camera as well.

what else should I be looking at that I have not explored?!

I'm so out of the game on what's decent out there these days that will work best. I need some direction!
Just picked up a Kenwood DMX706S that checks all those boxes. Installing it in a 2005 tahoe. A little on the expensive side, but also would play well with an amp should you decide you want a little more later.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've never messed with a double DIN in one of these trucks but I remember reading that they require some trimming inside the dash. These dashes are already pretty brittle, just something you might want to consider.

99SUB4X4

Reaction score
I did this several months ago and included the dvd/parking brake bypass, installed XMSirius hardware and a backup camera. Love it! I originally installed the Pioneer 1550 but swapped it out for a 2550. The 2550 fits easier and has a slightly larger screen. I went to a pull your part yard and found a matching color dash bezel to modify for the install. Let me know if you have any questions. Good Luck! Check my link of the install below.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/double-din-install-99-suburban.46593/#post-1069865

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
The Pioneer MVH1400-NEX is what I'll probably go with. I don't like the aftermarket units with the physical buttons that try to make it look cool and futuristic. The weird backgrounds and displays don't help. This one is one of the better looking units I've seen and it's not outrageously priced.