Vortec Resonator Box (Random early morning thoughts)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCusick81

Reaction score
Holy S***! I really wasn't expecting this type of response, if any, to the barely conscious nonsense rattling around in my head this morning. Haha. As always, the information is greatly appreciated and it's become quite obvious in my short time here, that there's plenty of it!

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Remember those Vortex (as seen on TV) thingys.

You must be registered for see images attach

".....The TornadoFuelSaver is a nicely made stainless steel contraption, available in an assortment of sizes to fit most vehicles. We installed it on our truck's intake tract immediately upstream of the MAF sensor. We purchased the second device, the Intake Twister, on eBay. It was crudely handmade from sheet-aluminum flashing and pop rivets. It looked like something we could make in about 10 minutes from an old soda can. The staff at UTI was reluctant to install it: The bent sheetmetal vanes looked as if they might break off and be digested by the engine....

....THE DYNO SAYS: Both devices reduced peak horsepower by more than 10 percent. The Intake Twister increased fuel consumption by about 20 percent; the TornadoFuelSaver provided no significant change...."

Back in the day I had a Yamaha YZ80 which had a little plastic box / bottle plumbed into the air intake. It was called a "energy induction system". Sort of reminds me of the Vortec box.

Not sure any of this has anything to do with the OP, but thought I'd share.

Because, "food for thought", right.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
About 5 years ago towing travel trailer thru Madrid Oregon on a hot day, engine in the k1500 Burb died in the middle of the street. Got to the curb and let cool down, finally started again, seemed like was vapor lock. Figured it wasn't getting enough air, so removed the ridiculous intake box, replaced the 3" pipe to the air cleaner with a 4" aluminum dryer duct. Instantly more power. Removed flapper & other impediments in air cleaner. Now have two air intakes, got a 3" plastic slightly ribbed pipe coming in from driver's side wheel well to the driver's side of the air cleaner. That really helped. How do I know? Just climbed up 6% Stevens Pass in 3rd gear towing our 5000 lb travel trailer, Never done that before. (Note the engine is a 383 with shorty headers so it likes low rpms).

Doctor Diesel

Reaction score
Bit late to the party but my background might help. Smooth or laminar airflow is ALWAYS preferred for flow of any liquid (Yes, air is considered a liquid in This case). A laminar Flow or turbulent Flow depends on the liquid viscosity, density and it’s Reynolds Number. Laminar flow is characterized by smooth and orderly flow of different layers past in another. Laminar flow occurs at low fluid velocity and the transition point between Laminar and Turbulant flow is dependent of the above variables. As such, any obstructions or restrictions, say like an air intake system, will change the orderly flow of those layers and result in turbulant flow. k&N whole marketing gimmick is “straightening” air flow or making it more laminar. What they fail to realize is that while the filter MAY indeed do so, once the air gets into the intake system, those straightening effects are lost. Laminar flow is encouraged and maintained by smooth surfaces that do not interrupt those different layers of fluid flow. This is the concept behind a valve port and polish. Porting enlarges the valve intake cavity which decreases velocity due to removing restrictions like sharp turns resulting in turbulant flow and iencouraging laminar flow. The polish further reduces obstructions. Too much porting will result in an actual slowdown of fluid velocity resulting in worse performance. That’s why and valve guru or head builder use flow meter tools and nowadays fluid dynamics software to “dial in” he optimal dimensions. “Cold air intakes” don’t so much as make power due to lower air density, a modern ECU corrects for this, but it’s gains, if any, result from encouraging a laminar fluid flow. When throttle plates get gunked up, one reason for the power loss and efficiency decrease is due to the airflow becoming more turbulant resulting in decrease failed speed and the engine working harder. That lower speed will result in not only a more turbulant flow which interferes to an extent with fuel mixing, but also a velocity decrease results in less air entering the cylinder. The MAF and MAT sensors will say x but the airflow is y. As engines don’t have cylinder air density sensors, the ECU can potentially inject an incorrect fuel amount. Finally, as laminar flow is smoother, it flows with less force ie the engine vacuum is more “efficient” for lack of a better word. This results in less workload by the engine and less fuel consumption. Oh, and restriction CAN increase fluid flow, like venturis, but if not engineered into the system, can be counterproductive. I attached a picture to help sell that point.

Attachments

• 05590EF6-D915-4CAE-A4FE-90ABDF89857D.jpeg
    05590EF6-D915-4CAE-A4FE-90ABDF89857D.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 10
  • D3850414-254E-4D06-81EE-F28434F19D08.jpeg
    D3850414-254E-4D06-81EE-F28434F19D08.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 10

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bit late to the party but my background might help. Smooth or laminar airflow is ALWAYS preferred for flow of any liquid (Yes, air is considered a liquid in This case). A laminar Flow or turbulent Flow depends on the liquid viscosity, density and it’s Reynolds Number. Laminar flow is characterized by smooth and orderly flow of different layers past in another. Laminar flow occurs at low fluid velocity and the transition point between Laminar and Turbulant flow is dependent of the above variables. As such, any obstructions or restrictions, say like an air intake system, will change the orderly flow of those layers and result in turbulant flow. k&N whole marketing gimmick is “straightening” air flow or making it more laminar. What they fail to realize is that while the filter MAY indeed do so, once the air gets into the intake system, those straightening effects are lost. Laminar flow is encouraged and maintained by smooth surfaces that do not interrupt those different layers of fluid flow. This is the concept behind a valve port and polish. Porting enlarges the valve intake cavity which decreases velocity due to removing restrictions like sharp turns resulting in turbulant flow and iencouraging laminar flow. The polish further reduces obstructions. Too much porting will result in an actual slowdown of fluid velocity resulting in worse performance. That’s why and valve guru or head builder use flow meter tools and nowadays fluid dynamics software to “dial in” he optimal dimensions. “Cold air intakes” don’t so much as make power due to lower air density, a modern ECU corrects for this, but it’s gains, if any, result from encouraging a laminar fluid flow. When throttle plates get gunked up, one reason for the power loss and efficiency decrease is due to the airflow becoming more turbulant resulting in decrease failed speed and the engine working harder. That lower speed will result in not only a more turbulant flow which interferes to an extent with fuel mixing, but also a velocity decrease results in less air entering the cylinder. The MAF and MAT sensors will say x but the airflow is y. As engines don’t have cylinder air density sensors, the ECU can potentially inject an incorrect fuel amount. Finally, as laminar flow is smoother, it flows with less force ie the engine vacuum is more “efficient” for lack of a better word. This results in less workload by the engine and less fuel consumption. Oh, and restriction CAN increase fluid flow, like venturis, but if not engineered into the system, can be counterproductive. I attached a picture to help sell that point.
not to brag but my 3800 from 1990 has been doing Wrx level engineering since 1988 lol

Has a screen to straighten the air too!

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe we could get the engine masters guys to load up a stock 5.7 vortec and do some test runs. Stock mpfi and intake, with and without intake muffler, marine intake, Camaro tpi, then maybe an edelbrock performer with fi-tech or Holley fuel injection…

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Maybe we could get the engine masters guys to load up a stock 5.7 vortec and do some test runs. Stock mpfi and intake, with and without intake muffler, marine intake, Camaro tpi, then maybe an edelbrock performer with fi-tech or Holley fuel injection…

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock TPI would be a complete waste of time, coming from someone that ran one. FiTech or Sniper TBI would also be a waste of time on a stock Vortec. The choke point on a Vortec is the stock exhaust manifolds and tiny exhaust pipes on the 1/2 ton tucks followed closely by the stock camshaft.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock TPI would be a complete waste of time, coming from someone that ran one. FiTech or Sniper TBI would also be a waste of time on a stock Vortec. The choke point on a Vortec is the stock exhaust manifolds and tiny exhaust pipes on the 1/2 ton tucks followed closely by the stock camshaft.
I’ve heard the tpi’s were pretty terrible, but in the name of data acquisition I still think it would be worth testing and comparing.