Vortec intake to a Carburator?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike8623

Reaction score
OK guys I'm new here but I have a friend who has a 88 GMC 1/2 ton pickup with a 6 cyl. in it. He has just obtained a 88 suburan with a 350 vortec in it and want to swap it (the engine) out into his 88 truck. He doesn't want to go with all the electronic stuff so my question is can you just put a carburator on the intake manifold of the 350 and do away with all the electronic stuff and install it in his truck, if so just what type of carb would you put on it.

Help me out here guys I'm no mechnanic and am out of my element here.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you would want to swap the intake manifold to one made for a carburetor. Should be able to pick one up used for a reasonable price.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Edelbock make a manifold for what your wanting to do really easy to swap them out. I really like quadrajet carbs, they are what gm used back when they ran carbs. I like them because I can tune them, alot of guys like edlebrock carbs. You really should run what ever you or your mechanic is familiar with

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Are you sure its a Vortec in the 'burb? They didn't start putting the Vortec in these trucks until 1996. If someone did swap in a Vortec and used the original tbi out of the 'burb you may already have an intake that works. The Vortec to tbi intake is really expensive so some guys get a Vortec to carb intake then use a tbi adapter. If the 'burb has the original engine you will have to get a different intake.

Mike8623

Reaction score
OK guys made a mistake, the engine in the Burb is not a vortec, but it has all that electronic stuff on it and he wants to get away from it and go to a carburator, so can he use the current intake. I guess its got that throttle body intake, what intake would he replace it with?