vortec heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in the near future i plan on replacing the head gaskets, cleaning and replacing worn parts. couple questions as i dont really know where to start. obviously if something fails a visual inspection it should be replaced but i dont think anything should be wrong, nothing has led me to think there would be so far

what parts should be replaced and what should be cleaned and reused.

any help is appreciated, thanks

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
in the near future i plan on replacing the head gaskets, cleaning and replacing worn parts. Im not really trying to make a performance upgrade, but better quality parts is ideal and if they come with better performance :). couple questions as i dont really know where to start. obviously if something fails a visual inspection it should be replaced but i dont think anything should be wrong, nothing has led me to think there would be so far

what parts should be replaced vs what should be cleaned and reused. im not afraid to throw money at this project so hit me with the good stuff
i dont plan on changing the stock cam unless convinced otherwise, the engine will have already been removed for this job.
valve spring numbers look like greek to me, dont know what any of the numbers mean if i should replace them. i suppose those are the most worn part being a spring and will need replacing
vavles and pushrods will probably reuse, dont know if there is something better to replace with.
only part so far that i think i want to buy is. has a 7/16 or 3/8 option, not sure which either

any help is appreciated, thanks
I read through this and not really sure 100% what it is you are even asking or wtf truck you are talking about. Get specific. Nobody wants to play 20 questions with you to give you advice.

Last edited:

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read through this and not really sure 100% what it is you are even asking or wtf truck you are talking about. Get specific. Nobody wants to play 20 questions with you to give you advice.
i thought it was specific, what parts should be replaced and what should be reused. i edited it to make it appear more simple

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sorry man , got my wire crossed some where , maybe reading another thread. If you're going to pull the heads I would look at things that concern the heads. Not uncommon to really need new exhaust valves but some other things to think about are the valve guides, block deck/head surface. the valve job in general. Head gaskets are the beginning. Why it blew head gaskets is another story and you're signature line reads like a story of too much for me, so where ya wanna go?

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry man , got my wire crossed some where , maybe reading another thread. If you're going to pull the heads I would look at things that concern the heads. Not uncommon to really need new exhaust valves but some other things to think about are the valve guides, block deck/head surface. the valve job in general. Head gaskets are the beginning. Why it blew head gaskets is another story and you're signature line reads like a story of too much for me, so where ya wanna go?
how do i know what valve springs to get, i think thats my the biggest mystery to me at the moment. summit doesnt list any "matching" parts, and dont really know what the number specs mean. idealy id rather get a kit that came all the springs, retainers and locks

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It all depends what cam your looking at. Siummit can be very generic. if I'm looking at low lift rv type grinds, I'm usually on Competiton Products page searching out an Elgin grind which will have the recommends for springs and lifters

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its coming apart mainly for a clean and paint, was running perfectly before disassembly
It all depends what cam your looking at. Siummit can be very generic. if I'm looking at low lift rv type grinds, I'm usually on Competiton Products page searching out an Elgin grind which will hae the recommends for springs and lifters
I also typically stay away from the latest, greatest. whiz, bang, zoom +5hp type high rate of lift cams in favor of one that has better valvetrain stability