Vortec block and heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
A hose barb in the pump, and a T in the heater hose off the top of the intake may work. Might look kinda dorky, unless it tucks in someplace so it's not so obvious. Another option might be a spacer with a pipe thread under the thermostat.

I'm not sure how big the hose needs to be. I think my 454 uses 3/4".

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It would either 5/8 or 3/4. There is a Corvette forum that gives a Vague description. Your right it does look dorky. It may look half ass decent if i can get some braided stainless hoses and Earls fittings.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drill a couple of holes in the thermostat on the outer ring and be done with it. It also ha the benifit of not adding a potential leak point.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drill a couple of holes in the thermostat on the outer ring and be done with it. It also ha the benifit of not adding a potential leak point.
I did that already. I have an Edelbrock T stat. I put a hole on the passenger side bc there is a hole from the factory on the driver side (that's how I Positioned it). I should be good. My truck currently sitting awaiting its new transmission to arrive. Its gona be a long 10 days

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
A hole in the thermostat is not going to flow much at all. I can't image that properly compensating for a bypass. If it did, GM would have done that to begin with, as a hole is much cheaper than the additional parts it takes to have a by pass.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A hole in the thermostat is not going to flow much at all. I can't image that properly compensating for a bypass. If it did, GM would have done that to begin with, as a hole is much cheaper than the additional parts it takes to have a by pass.

He also has a heater core plumbed in with what looks to be constant circulation.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
He also has a heater core plumbed in with what looks to be constant circulation.

It may function as a bypass, but GM continually chose not to rely on it for that function and included a separate bypass. They must have had good reason, because they don't like spending money on vehicle parts when they don't have to.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's is no other port on the intake. i was thinking about "Teeing it off right there like said before I think im putting way to much though in it. Im just trying to make sure I dont cook my heads. Iv got a lot of money tied up n this motor

Then you'll want to drill a couple small holes in the tstat to allow for circulation. Or swap the intake.

However you do it, you need the water pump to push coolant through the block and heads, outlet to the heater core, then back to the water pump. If you drill through the tstat, you'll be pushing some coolant through the radiator which will cause the engine heat up to temp slower. Since you're in TX, that's probably not an issue.

If you tee off the front, you might not get enough coolant to the back of the motor. I'd have to check a diagram for the cooling flow but you might just be better swapping the intake to one with two outlets as that's what that motor was designed for.