Vortec block and heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just recently put a 5.7 vortec block... I believe its a 1997 and heads (new) in my 94 1500. I put a 1994 water pump on the motor. I was reading that the vortec requires a water pump with a coolant by pass. So does my motor need a water pump that's actually made for a vortec?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look at the front of the Vortec block you'll see it's missing the coolant bypass hole, as well as two of the timing cover bolt holes. You will need to run the Vortec water pump or use the gasket as a template and drill the bypass hole. I went the other way around with my '99 Suburban and put an earlier block in it. I had to tap the hole and put an allen plug in it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you look at the front of the Vortec block you'll see it's missing the coolant bypass hole, as well as two of the timing cover bolt holes. You will need to run the Vortec water pump or use the gasket as a template and drill the bypass hole. I went the other way around with my '99 Suburban and put an earlier block in it. I had to tap the hole and put an allen plug in it.

I had to use a 3/8 freeze plug when I put aftermarket heads on my L31. The bypass passageway was drilled. The Vortec heads cover the hole. When you change the heads you get a massive coolant leak using the Vortec water pump.

Also my Vortec blocks have all been tapped for the timing cover bolts.

Seems some blocks are and some are not.

I have had 3 vortec blocks that had fuel pump holes drilled and had a factory steel blockoff plate as well.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if I use the vortec water pump i will not need to drill anything? This is all new to me. Im learning as I go.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So iv been thinking about this pretty much all day. So safe to say i need some sort of By pass. Question is where? I really dont want pull the motor and drill. Iv read where people use a Tee to "T" off the heater hose that runs into the intake. So would I "T" off right here from the nipple on top of the vortec water pump
You must be registered for see images attach
also there is an allen screw on the top of the water pump. Is there something i can install in place of that screw. That would sure be easier than changing the water pump.

Last edited:

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Iv gotten no where on my quest. Im still confused as hell. What iv gathered from other forums is that I will need a water pump and a intake with the coolant bypass fitting like the one made by Edelbrock. Does anyone know if the pump for a 94 is clock wise or counter clock wise. Since the fan is different from a 94 and a 96 i guess ill need a fan too

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are really over thinking this!

All it needs is a little coolant circulation. If you have a heater core with constant flow you have more of a bypass than the small hole in the block allows for.

You can also drill a couple of small holes in the outer ring of your thermostat. 2 x 1/4" holes should be sufficient. They will bypass water when the engine is cold and not add a path for the hoot coolant to bypass the radiator when the engine is warm.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So iv been thinking about this pretty much all day. So safe to say i need some sort of By pass. Question is where? I really dont want pull the motor and drill. Iv read where people use a Tee to "T" off the heater hose that runs into the intake. So would I "T" off right here from the nipple on top of the vortec water pump
also there is an allen screw on the top of the water pump. Is there something i can install in place of that screw. That would sure be easier than changing the water pump.

Unless you have another port on the intake manifold, you won't be able to use that port. If there is another port on the back of the manifold, you can use it as a bypass.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Iv gotten no where on my quest. Im still confused as hell. What iv gathered from other forums is that I will need a water pump and a intake with the coolant bypass fitting like the one made by Edelbrock. Does anyone know if the pump for a 94 is clock wise or counter clock wise. Since the fan is different from a 94 and a 96 i guess ill need a fan too

Don't go too overboard on it. I put a Vortec in my 95, and I used this manifold: https://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performan...0jf7RtltoM9_XYSZOXcLxRbeBsKlGsQBoC4wQQAvD_BwE

As you can see, there is a coolant port on the front (next to the EGR) and one on the back. Those two will allow you to use the water pump from the 94 with a hose fitting in place of the plug you mentioned. But, you will need that other coolant port on the manifold.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless you have another port on the intake manifold, you won't be able to use that port. If there is another port on the back of the manifold, you can use it as a bypass.
There's is no other port on the intake. i was thinking about "Teeing it off right there like said before I think im putting way to much though in it. Im just trying to make sure I dont cook my heads. Iv got a lot of money tied up n this motor