Vortec 454 Oil Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used that one in my 5.3 and it was too noisy on my lifters so I switched back to 5W30 but I've always liked the specs on that oil. I was using mobile one because they're labeling looks pretty to me but now I'm just using Walmart's oil and changing it every 3 to 5,000 MI because I can and it's cheap. [emoji1787]

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

I just looked up SuperTech/ Wally World oil and a 5 qt high mileage full syn jug = $13.47!? That is insanely cheap. They also have a 12 qt box of syn 5w-30 for $29.86! That's $2.49 a quart for full syn with good reviews on bob is the oil guy. The K&N filter I buy for the k2500 is more usually than the jug!

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just looked up SuperTech/ Wally World oil and a 5 qt high mileage full syn jug = $13.47!? That is insanely cheap. They also have a 12 qt box of syn 5w-30 for $29.86! That's $2.49 a quart for full syn with good reviews on bob is the oil guy. The K&N filter I buy for the k2500 is more usually than the jug!
I use fram ultra synthetic filters because they filter down to 20 microns which is better than most everything and as good as ones far more expensive.
I believe in changing oil frequently to flush out the small particles because even the best oil filters only filter down to 20 microns and GM did studies that proved that 5 to 50 micron particles did most of the damage and filtering down to something like five microns would extend the engine life eight times. those numbers are for memory so I might be a little bit off but it is a huge difference so I change often to flush those particles.
I've noticed most manufacturers are recommending longer oil change intervals and it seems like their motors are worn out conveniently at 200,000 to 400,000 mi which in my book is not long enough..

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't trust any filter until after I've cut one open and seen inside. Fram used to be hot garbage. K&N was decent, but way overpriced. NAPA Gold and Wix are my go-to filters. I bought some Motorcraft for my Mustang because RockAuto had them dirt cheap, but I'm pretty sure even though they're factory they're middle-quality at best.

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to know^
K&N with the 1 inch nut is super convenient which is most of the reason I run them... though with a wix filter and Wally World oil I can cut down my oil change cost by 40% cost and get it all done for under 30$!
I also use a filter mag and believe in frequent oil changes at 3-4K miles. I also know my 454 has leaks and introduced dirt and dust is a continued concern with 269k miles. Just got motor and running gear steam cleaned so oil leak fixes are next on the project list.

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shell rotella T4 (non synthetic) 10W30 and a bottle of Lucas TB zinc plus in my 1998 454. Exact same stuff I use in my Monza with a cammed flat tappet 305. The zinc plus is probably overkill in the 454 but so far so good

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alot of 454s on irrigation wells run 15w40 diesel oil.

In a gas pickup application I like running 10w30