Vortec 454 Oil Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5w-30
napa gold filter.
And no matter what anybody has to say about it...
I always use the round air filters

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5w-30
napa gold filter.
And no matter what anybody has to say about it...
I always use the round air filters
If by round you mean paper factory style filters then I agree with you. The air filters more important than the oil anyway.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If by round you mean paper factory style filters then I agree with you. The air filters more important than the oil anyway.

That's kinda what he means. :Big Laugh:

Tenhorse

Reaction score
I personally use 0w-40. But I have a supercharged small block. I want flow on cold startup and protection when I have my foot in it. Surely my oil is being abused more than the oil on a stock engine making 1/3 of the horsepower. I have good oil pressure with 10w30, but I'd rather have the extra protection when I get the oil hot. . And good flow when it's cold.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally use 0w-40. But I have a supercharged small block. I want flow on cold startup and protection when I have my foot in it. Surely my oil is being abused more than the oil on a stock engine making 1/3 of the horsepower. I have good oil pressure with 10w30, but I'd rather have the extra protection when I get the oil hot. . And good flow when it's cold.
I used that one in my 5.3 and it was too noisy on my lifters so I switched back to 5W30 but I've always liked the specs on that oil. I was using mobile one because they're labeling looks pretty to me but now I'm just using Walmart's oil and changing it every 3 to 5,000 MI because I can and it's cheap. [emoji1787]

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I spent 2 years reading and studying about engine oil and other lubricants pretty much every chance I got and I came to the conclusion that lubrication is such a balancing act you just have to trust the oil manufacturers don't buy something outrageously cheap like some of are farm store brands but there's no need to buy anything super expensive either. Even Walmart's brand 5W30 is available in high mileage full synthetic that still carries dexos Gen 2 approval. I like mobile one 0w-40 for extreme gas engines and light duty diesels because it carries Mercedes approvals I can't remember which number but one of the good ones. But really any oil as long as it's clean is going to be just fine small block Chevy is a pretty dang good motor and you're a whole lot better off spending your money on maintaining all of the sensors and seals because it's not very common to actually have a motor wear out usually a motor is killed by either a sensor failing or a seal failing letting dirt in or letting oil out.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, keep them tuned and clean and everything adjusted correctly and you can pretty much run an SBC untill it doesnt have enough compression left to start.
And, when that finnally happens, look around the shop, check the downstairs closet, look in the kitchen junk drawer.
If you do this long enough, you might just have a spare chevy engine laying around that you forgot all about.
Slap in it and drive it for a few more years

Edward Case

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used that one in my 5.3 and it was too noisy on my lifters so I switched back to 5W30 but I've always liked the specs on that oil. I was using mobile one because they're labeling looks pretty to me but now I'm just using Walmart's oil and changing it every 3 to 5,000 MI because I can and it's cheap. [emoji1787]

From what I have seen in tests Amsoil is a bit better than all the others, but is three times the price. Kirkland brand from BJs is the cheapest and is as good as most of the others. I'm talking synthetics.

kauila

Reaction score
I have been using Delo 400 LE SAE 15w-40 diesel oil in my 2000 Silverado 6.0L engine for a long time. It runs and idles smooth as glass with over 122k miles on the clock. It is warm year round where I live. I will stick with what works for me and call BS on the "clearance damage".