Used crew cab what to look/watch for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastFirstGen

Reaction score
Hope this is a good place to put this. New fella here but long time fan of these old Chevys. I found a centurion CCSB locally and it spurred my interest. Now I'm looking for a 1999-2000 factory crew cab. Can't find any locally and before I make the trip to look at one I'd like to get an idea of what to look for on these. I know the main aspects that pertain to general vehicle purchases but what's the particulars for these dudes? I know the 5.7 is a champ but what about the 7.4? I see more big blocks than small it seems. Any reason to go floor 4x4 over push button? Any motor issues? Frame issue? Inherent rust other than wheel wells, can corners and rockers? Long bed over short bed? Im set on one of these rigs but it's looking like I'm going to be making a long trip or buying one sight unseen and having it shipped. Appreciate it y'all

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
There is more potential for parts failure with a push button 4wd system. Long or short bed is your taste. You will get beefier parts and better brakes on a 2500/3500, which will be better powered by a bigblock.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
That put's you in Vortec Territory. All Vortecs are known for eating intake gaskets and pooping injectors pretty much lol.

What kind of mileage are you looking at?

FastFirstGen

Reaction score
Yeah figured floor shift was better/more reliable but read somewhere the failure prone part is actually in the transfer case I believe.

I've read about the gaskets but ain't seen much on the injectors. Gaskets just as simple as checking fluids for miscolor and injectors for rough idle/poor running I'm guessing? All trucks I've seen 9 grand and under are 150,000 and up.

Really no engine preference other than best relaibility and longevity. Don't really pull. Will only drive 2-3 times a week and fishing/camping/vacation trips.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Yeah figured floor shift was better/more reliable but read somewhere the failure prone part is actually in the transfer case I believe.

I've read about the gaskets but ain't seen much on the injectors. Gaskets just as simple as checking fluids for miscolor and injectors for rough idle/poor running I'm guessing? All trucks I've seen 9 grand and under are 150,000 and up.

Really no engine preference other than best relaibility and longevity. Don't really pull. Will only drive 2-3 times a week and fishing/camping/vacation trips.

You've got a great handle on it.

Personally, i don't feel one engine is better than the other, but, if I'm going to get crappy mileage, I may as well get crappy mileage driving a big block lol.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
You've got a great handle on it.

Personally, i don't feel one engine is better than the other, but, if I'm going to get crappy mileage, I may as well get crappy mileage driving a big block lol.

I haven't calculated it, but my C2500 with a 350 gets good mileage for a heavy truck...better than my 98 C1500 with a 305 did...but I have not pulled anything yet but I commute 45 miles a day for work and I only get on it...well, nevermind that part lol, I like hearing the pipes sing :rofl: :peace::peace::peace::peace:

FastFirstGen

Reaction score
Yeah man mileage isn't a main concern seeing as how I got a company van 6 days of the week but I might change my tune should that change. I had read the 6.5 was problematic so wanted to check on the 7.4. There's one CCSB I found with a LQ9 swap but its pricey. I got champagne taste and a beer pocketbook know what I mean

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
There is more potential for parts failure with a push button 4wd system. Long or short bed is your taste. You will get beefier parts and better brakes on a 2500/3500, which will be better powered by a bigblock.
A little off topic, but what normally goes wrong in the push button 4x4 system? I have one in my truck and nothing is wrong with it after 154k miles (knock on wood).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A little off topic, but what normally goes wrong in the push button 4x4 system? I have one in my truck and nothing is wrong with it after 154k miles (knock on wood).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience, nothing. I've seen people say that their dash switches have gone bad, but my Suburban's is still going strong with more mileage on it than your truck.