Use the 88-89 headlight style on 90-99 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1996 Tahoe. It needs new headlights as the old lenses are fogged and cracked. I was curious if it was possible to fit the older style 4 sealed beams that were used on the 88-89 trucks. I know it would look strange bit it would be something different. I know the grill changed in 1994 but the headlights that are the proper replacements for my 96 are compatible with 1990 to 1999. So the grill should accommodate the bulbs. Was wondering what I would need to do this conversion. I can only find people who want to convert their early bulbs to the later style.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
It's been done more than a few times.
I like the ability to adjust the high beams separately from the lows.
Some say that they've had to to do a bit of trimming of the grille around the headlights. Other's haven't.
IIRC, FastOrange, 1low95GMC & a couple of others have done the swap.

Remove grill.
Unplug headlights.
Un-bolt the headlight bases.
Bolt the sealed beam headlight bases in. Splice the wires in, color-to-color.

Here's Dave's (88GMCtruck) nicely detailed write-up on upgrading the sealed beams & the other available options...

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/tech...eam-upgrades-bosch-t84-e-code-headlights.946/