Use In Tank Fuel Pump to drain Tank - Good or Bad idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely a factory aux tank. Some of the chassis cabs have a single tank in that rear location. There's a number of combinations. My '94 3500HD 6.5td just had the large single rear tank. Very much the factory setup on that truck, down to the straps, plastic cover, etc.

You must be registered for see images attach

I removed it because it was in the way of the wrecker unit install. I had to install a skinny tank swiped from a '92 3500 chassis cab (somewhere around 20 gallons) and tweak the straps a little bit to make up for frame differences between the 3500 and the 3500HD.

Chassis cabs are real tight on clearance between the frame rails for stuff like gas tanks. A regular GMT400 pickup truck tank can't fit at all. Side by side longbed truck tank and chassis cab tank..

Richard
Hmmmmmm- more yellow ratchet straps. :biggrin:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm- more yellow ratchet straps. :biggrin:
"Many ratchet straps are yellow, sir"

Used 'em to help lower a tank full of questionable diesel as I didn't yet have anywhere to safely dispose of it. I sure as hell didn't want it getting away from me. Bleh!

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Many ratchet straps are yellow, sir"

Used 'em to help lower a tank full of questionable diesel as I didn't yet have anywhere to safely dispose of it. I sure as hell didn't want it getting away from me. Bleh!

Richard
Yup, I’ve got a few myself. Just thought it funny in reference to post #7. I knew why they were in your picture.

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most likely a factory aux tank. Some of the chassis cabs have a single tank in that rear location. There's a number of combinations. My '94 3500HD 6.5td just had the large single rear tank. Very much the factory setup on that truck, down to the straps, plastic cover, etc.

Thanks for the Pic @someotherguy . I was wondering if my tank was correct. My RPO Code says: NK7 - Fuel Tank, 117 Liter (31 Gallon) 31 GAL TK.
I guess it is the right one.
I think my leaf springs are shot (flatter vs curved in your pic) - looking at your pic comparing it to this:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the Pic @someotherguy . I was wondering if my tank was correct. My RPO Code says: NK7 - Fuel Tank, 117 Liter (31 Gallon) 31 GAL TK.
I guess it is the right one.
I think my leaf springs are shot (flatter vs curved in your pic) - looking at your pic comparing it to this:
As well as no load at all on the ones in my pic, there's also a big difference in spring packs between your 3500 and a 3500HD.

Richard