Use In Tank Fuel Pump to drain Tank - Good or Bad idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my truck has been sitting for a year with a quarter tank of gas, no stabilizer.
I traced the starting issue back to the ECM, which got wet. New ECM should be here today, but I don't want to install it until I know I can drive it under it's own power to my work shed.
To drive it, I am thinking of disconnecting the fuel line to the TBI, run a hose to a bucket and pump the tank dry (or as dry as I can get it), fill 1/2 way with fresh gas, pump again and a final 1/2 way fill.
Anyone see any issues with this (always best to ask for someone who has the experience)

You must be registered for see images attach

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can break loose at the fuel filter on the frame, it will work ok but you will never get all the junk from the bottom of the tank. I would drain and drop the tank, clean it and replace the pump.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yes, you can drain it with the pump the way you are describing.

But 1 year old gas isnt that bad. You could just add another 1/4 or 1/2 tank of fresh stuff and then drive it until its almost empty and you'll be fine. It just wont flash off as fast in cold weather.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm with @RichLo. Dilute the old gas with an additive, like Star-tron, to stabilize any water, and fill up the rest of the tank with some fresh 87.
I'd be hesitant to just let the pump empty the tank. The pump uses return fuel as a coolant. No return fuel, pump runs hot, and I have no idea how old your pump is...
The engines on my farm routinely sit all winter, between 7 and 9 months usually. They start up just fine, and I never drain out the fuel. I just turn the fuel line shut off and run the carb empty.

Trio

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm with @RichLo. Dilute the old gas with an additive, like Star-tron, to stabilize any water, and fill up the rest of the tank with some fresh 87.
I'd be hesitant to just let the pump empty the tank. The pump uses return fuel as a coolant. No return fuel, pump runs hot, and I have no idea how old your pump is...
The engines on my farm routinely sit all winter, between 7 and 9 months usually. They start up just fine, and I never drain out the fuel. I just turn the fuel line shut off and run the carb empty.

This is the way.

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well then, @RichLo and @Nad_Yvalhosert , I'll try that 1st. Even less mess!
Tank is held on by what looks to be new-ish straps, but I have no idea how old the pump is.
Truck just needs to run 800' to the shed.
My plan is for a complete tear down and re-build once I get it to "the safe dry place".
Nothing to0 fancy, body off, clean, paint underparts, bushings, new fuel lines, brake lines and make my own wiring harness.
Wiring harness is easy if you have the book (I do) and a lot of patience. I'll save all that for a built write up I'll post in the appropriate section.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
LOL! those newer straps arent exactly what it came with out of the factory. It does show that somebody has dropped the tank within the last couple years though.

If its just a yard vehicle dont worry about it, those will last at least 3-5 years as agricultural use. BUT if its going to be on the street, you need to get that up to your shop and fix it right.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Also, thats not in the right tank location for that truck. Thats a suburban tank mounded on a dually where the spare tire normally sits. The dually tank should be mounted inside the frame on the driver side under the bed.

EDIT: I see you still have a normal tank sitting in front of the axle. WTF? If that setup is done correctly, you have like 75 gallons capacity.

Last edited: