Upsize wiper blades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something common i did on a big rig; but any advantage to it or any of you done it? Takes an 18 now. Thinking about going to a 20.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I did the big wiper mod to both vehicles. It has a larger clean area when raining

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily call it a mod but yea, as long as they dont hit anything its nice to have more viewing area in the rain and snow. Sometimes if you get too big though, they will jump around more than normal.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
19's will get right up to the top of the windshield, about 1/16" away from hitting the roof line. 20's are too long.
Don't know what year your truck is, but the '95+ arms have a stronger spring to keep the blade tighter to the glass & then they sit lower on the windshield when parked.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I used to try to use bigger wipers, and I ended up with the ends lifting off the glass, or hitting the trims around the window. I think I was using 20's. I could see maybe 19's working. I think I have the standard 18" wipers now.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
With the big wiper mod you take apart the solid rod with the hook and remove an inch or so from the middle and weld it back together. Iirc you can get up to 22's on the windshield

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
19's will get right up to the top of the windshield, about 1/16" away from hitting the roof line. 20's are too long.
Don't know what year your truck is, but the '95+ arms have a stronger spring to keep the blade tighter to the glass & then they sit lower on the windshield when parked.
I forgot about the 95+ arms. I'm going to have to grab those from the Iron Lung Tahoe before we scrap it.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
With the big wiper mod you take apart the solid rod with the hook and remove an inch or so from the middle and weld it back together. Iirc you can get up to 22's on the windshield

ok, that makes it a mod, when I first heard bigger wiper mod, I literally thought you just put bigger wipers on and called it a mod. lol.