Upper ball joint angle help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a98 with a 4/6 and I'm destroying upper ball joints. What should I do? Djm upper Aarms or is there a cheaper fix?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah...wondering that myself? Springs and spindles you should be having zero ball joint problems; I've put multiple tens of thousands of miles on GMT400's dropped this way and never had ball joint problems beyond just normal wear and tear from the expected amount of miles. Hell on my '92 I bought the truck already dropped and didn't replace the factory ball joints until over 200K miles, they had tons of slack but hadn't failed yet. Guaranteed original ball joints, riveted in.

Gotta replace with top quality parts or the failures could be just from crap quality.

Richard

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because if you use drop control arms, you will experience ball joint wear from the weird angle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When I said "wondering that myself" I was 2nd-ing your question of how he dropped it. :D Most typical is springs and spindles, which should net zero problems. In agreement with other methods potentially causing issues, but especially if it was done primarily with cut or torched springs = worst possible scenario.

Richard

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's because of your lower control Arms. What happens when you lower a truck using control arms, it changes the geometry that the engineers created during development. When you change the geometry, it will go through ball joints. The best way to solve this is get drop springs and get stock control arms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming you had it aligned after the drop? LCA's just have a deeper pocket for the spring as far as I know, so it really shouldn't affect geometry. But I'm no expert on them as I've never dropped a truck using drop LCA's.

Richard