TV Cable question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trstrugar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck is a 1994 GMC k1500. My question is in regards to the TV cable. I have had idling issues with this truck since I got it, and I think I have narrowed it down to a poorly rebuilt TB. My truck seems to have delayed shifting, and it shifts mighty hard when it shifts normally. I messed with the top cable quite a bit when I first got the truck because I didn't realize it was for the cruise control. Still don't know what adjusting this will do, but from what I understand the bottom cable is the TV. I have a throttle body spacer on there that I did not install, and I am wondering if this has anything to do with it. Possibly causing the TV cable to not be where it needs to be

red97k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your truck is a 1994 model truck it should have a 4l60e transmision and not have a TV cable....the 1992 model year is the first year the trucks had 4l60es.in 92 some trucks got 700r4s and some got 4l60es.The only way your truck will have a TV cable is if somebody swapped a 700r4 transmission into it,which is highly unlikely in my opinion.

Trstrugar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your truck is a 1994 model truck it should have a 4l60e transmision and not have a TV cable....the 1992 model year is the first year the trucks had 4l60es.in 92 some trucks got 700r4s and some got 4l60es.The only way your truck will have a TV cable is if somebody swapped a 700r4 transmission into it,which is highly unlikely in my opinion.
That's really good information. I have always wondered which transmission I have. The guy before me claimed it was a 700r4, but I don't know how to tell the difference.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
93-94 are 4l60e 92 is 4l60 which is a 700r4 and anything prior to that is alos 700r4, some people swap them and that could be this situation but it wouldnt have come off the line with a 700r4 being a 94. you wouldnt have adjustment then, id go get your trans pressure tested and inspect fluid and such, delayed could mean needs service engine is acting appropriately to send proper signal to trans or needs rebuild.

red97k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One way to tell is,the TV cable will be Going into the transmission case on the passenger side a couple of inches back from the dipstick tube... also the dead giveaway is the round 16 pin electrical connector that plugs into the case on the passenger side of the transmission for the solenoids.if it has that plug it is for sure a 4l60e.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Or even simpler, your 1994 will only have two cables attached at the throttle body. Cruise, and accelerator pedal. There will be a square hole leftover in the cable bracket where the TV cable would have gone...if your truck was a 1992 or older.

If you haven't changed your fuel filter lately, you should. It sounds crazy but it is totally related. Also, suspect possible issues with the TPS.

Richard

Trstrugar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or even simpler, your 1994 will only have two cables attached at the throttle body. Cruise, and accelerator pedal. There will be a square hole leftover in the cable bracket where the TV cable would have gone...if your truck was a 1992 or older.

If you haven't changed your fuel filter lately, you should. It sounds crazy but it is totally related. Also, suspect possible issues with the TPS.

Richard
I need to pull the bed off to do some proper welding on the exhaust and replace the filler neck anyway, I will definitely be replacing the fuel filter. I replaced the TPS and I wish I didn't because it didn't change anything. One of the screws connecting it to the throttle body was cross threaded by my predecessor, and when I watch the injectors it looks like one of the is dribbling and erratic when it should be a nice cone shape.