Truck will start and immediately die.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeezLouiseGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welp I got the ole girl home and you’ll never believe the fix. Some dude came up and suggested that I try and straighten the wheel and leave the key on to see if that’ll fix it. Well at this point I was like welp I tried everything else so why not. So I tried it you the security light stopped flashing and you’ll never guess what happened?? It started right up?? Wack

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's the relearn procedure for the PassLock. It's described briefly in that thread I linked earlier. Don't count on it working all the time unless you fix the issue, but glad it got you home.

JeezLouiseGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welp the problem is becoming more frequent, almost to the point where I’m afraid to drive it anywhere.. I ordered that resistor to give it a try, but If that doesn’t work idk.. wish me luck boys

eshaw

Reaction score
I think your only real lasting options are going to be a security relearn or have the pass/lock feature turned off in the ECM. It's kind of strange that it would start doing this with the original black box that came with the truck.

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
its not expensive, they did my '15 just by plugging into the OBDII for about $250 , but they were in my area for a couple days, for my 96 i had them make a computer for me and send it because they cannot do those through the port, i think that was $450?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
its not expensive, they did my '15 just by plugging into the OBDII for about $250 , but they were in my area for a couple days, for my 96 i had them make a computer for me and send it because they cannot do those through the port, i think that was $450?

It's about $360, and that's including a spare PCM so you can keep the stock one.

JeezLouiseGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's about $360, and that's including a spare PCM so you can keep the stock one.
I went ahead and bypassed passkey and it seemed to fix the problem. now I know this really isn't the place to ask this but as far as getting a tune, would it be better to swap in a 411 with the correct tune, or just get a tuned black box? I have one I took out of an astrovan and I wouldn't even know where to start as far as getting it tuned correctly.