Truck will start and immediately die.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeezLouiseGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so I drive a 1998 k1500 and I have an intermittent problem where the truck will start and then immediately die. It does this maybe twice a month rightbin a row. I’ve looked into it and I think it is the vats system but honestly I’m not sure. I can get it to run after playing with the fuses but it is beggining to kinda of concern me. Help!! I have a video of what it will do yhat I will post later

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does the security light on the dash flash when it does this? If so I'd bet it's a PassLock issue.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I’d there any process to get the truck to start when it happens? I’m currently having that issue in a parking lot

As for a permanent fix, you could actually have the problem diagnosed and fixed by a mechanic (it's probably going to be expensive, not sure what all is involved on these trucks as both of mine are '97s), or you can have it tuned out of the PCM entirely by someone like Black Bear Performance. Personally if it were my truck I'd do the last one. That will disable the PassLock system entirely so you'll never have another issue with it.

As for something that will get you out of the parking lot after a trip to RadioShack, you could try this resistor mod.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-bypass-the-security.39407/

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also didn't mean to imply that the resistor mod can't be a "permanent fix," I know some people use it as such. Just not sure I would be comfortable hacking the wiring up in one of my trucks to do it, let alone leaving it that way. Personal preference, though.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Other than that resistor mod I linked, not that I'm aware of.